November Wine of the Month
This wine will go great with Thanksgiving dessert
Planning a Thanksgiving feast can make you want to scream. How does one democratize a menu for guests who range from born again vegan to turkey tyrant?
The 2008 Grgich Hills Violetta Napa Valley Late Harvest is the great palate equalizer with its baby banana, apricot and ginger snap aromas and honey and candied ginger flavors that glide through a mildly acidic finish. The color is gorgeously golden and the texture is almost gooey. White Zinfandel-ers will dig its sweet bite, and dry wine-fascists will dig a complexity comparable to this amazing Wynwood backdrop.
Pair it up with homemade sweet potato pie (we like the one at Saint City Coffee Shop on NW 22nd Ave. and 93rd St.). Before you start hollering about price, note that these grapes are estate grown on a certified biodynamic and organic vineyard called American Canyon. Producers only made 1,958 cases of this wine, so you and your wine crew throw some money in a pot and bring some unity to that twisted-turkey table.
2008 Grgich Hills Violetta Napa Valley Late Harvest
Available through special order at W Wine Boutique & Spirits, 1328 Alton Rd., Miami Beach, 305-673-8282 ($68 for half bottle).
$25 a glass at Prime 112, 112 Ocean Dr., South Beach, 305-532-8112.
- Brew in Miami: 360 beers and a 'Gal' beer blogger
- Unlimited tacos and beer for $18.21 debuts at Toro Toro
- 3 stars for Prime Fish's South Beach swagger
- River Seafood & Oyster Bar to move down the Miami River
- Pubbelly Boys to close PB Steak in Miami Beach
- St. Louis-based Pi Pizzeria opening this year in South Beach
- New chef, new look for Azul at the Mandarin Oriental Miami
- What's the Best? 5 Great Carpaccios
- Cheen-Huaye Mexican restaurant expands menu, dining room in North Miami
- New-look AltaMare toasts summer with a new happy hour