Norman Van Aken leaves Miami Culinary Institute, Tuyo to pursue new projects
The original mango gangster moves on
Those looking for chef Norman Van Aken at Tuyo since December can stop looking. Miami's original star chef has exited the building. This happened before he hit the late night circuit promoting his new book, No Experience Necessary: The Culinary Odyssey of Chef Norman Van Aken, most recently on Jimmy Kimmel Live, but for whatever reason Miami Dade College, which owns and operates Tuyo, has just made an official announcement, saying that "Chef Norman Van Aken, director of restaurants at Miami Dade College’s (MDC) Miami Culinary Institute and its acclaimed restaurant Tuyo, has left his post as of January 2014. The longtime, award-winning chef and author is exploring new book projects and culinary endeavors, including teaching “Culinarium” classes at the Institute for industry professionals and foodies."
Says Van Aken, "“I have had a wonderful experience at MDC and Tuyo and will miss my colleagues and, especially, the students. My experiences have encouraged me to blaze new culinary trails" Miami Dade College—and Miami food fans-- will miss him back. "We wish Chef Norman all the best and know he’ll continue making positive impacts on the culinary world,” said Dr. José A. Vicente, Wolfson Campus President. “We thank him for helping get our fledgling institute and world-class restaurant off to a great start.” Tuyo, btw, will remain open.
- Food Network chef Ben Vaughn joins Swine Southern Table & Bar for 2-month takeover
- Michael Pirolo, Aaron Brooks & Niven Patel join Kaytlin Brakefield on 3-course collab
- Chef Michael Schwartz to open Fi’lia, a new Italian concept, in Brickell in fall of 2016
- Move over koji: The "Approachable" Restaurant is Miami's latest, hottest food trend
- Picking your political poison: Broken Shaker debuts the Sorry Donald cocktail
- Who makes Miami's prettiest latte?
- 9 recipes to get you in the mood for #NegroniWeek
- Eating House's Giorgio Rapicavoli's 2-night Azul collaboration
- Donuts and cocktails for Friday's National Donut Day
- A new Top 10: 4-star Plant Food and Wine tops 2016's best-reviewed restaurants