Norman Van Aken at Books and Books
With his son
Talent runs in the family.
Local chef Norman Van Aken and his son Justin will discuss and sign My Key West Kitchen (Kyle Books, $29.95) 8 p.m. November 27 at Books & Books, Coral Gables.
Long before Jimmy Buffett wrote “Margaritaville” about Key West, James Beard award-winner Van Aken had already pledged allegiance to the magical little scrap of land at the end of the rainbow.
"I just felt lucky when I walked the old small streets and alleys, protected by some ancient maternal force,” he said of the reason for writing the book.
It was in The Keys that Norman first found his passion for cooking and where the unique cultural make-up of the island really made a major influence on his cuisine.
Now all food lovers can enjoy the diverse flavors of Key West with Norman’s new cookbook, co-written with his son, chef Justin Van Aken, My Key West Kitchen: Recipes and Stories, which literally is the father-and-son team’s love letter to the island. Part cookbook, part travelogue, part memoir, follow the two as they stroll through the streets of Key West, reminiscing and recreating dishes from “little joints,” established restaurants, and from the kitchens of friends and family past and present.
On Our Radar
- Beckhams won't move into Versace mansion
- Celeb spotting: Prime 112 sees a lot of action
- Emilio Estefan movie to have world premiere
- Kim Kardashian's ex husband sells home
- Boca Raton sixth-grader has dog shampoo in Oscars bag
- Chef Fabio Viviani shows off kitchen skills
- Top Chef judge Tom Colicchio at restaurant site
- Paula Deen makes appearance at South Beach Wine and Food Festival, receives standing ovation
- Country star Trisha Yearwood gets cooking
- Real Housewives meet up for beauty event at PAMM