Norman Van Aken at Books and Books
With his son
Talent runs in the family.
Local chef Norman Van Aken and his son Justin will discuss and sign My Key West Kitchen (Kyle Books, $29.95) 8 p.m. November 27 at Books & Books, Coral Gables.
Long before Jimmy Buffett wrote “Margaritaville” about Key West, James Beard award-winner Van Aken had already pledged allegiance to the magical little scrap of land at the end of the rainbow.
"I just felt lucky when I walked the old small streets and alleys, protected by some ancient maternal force,” he said of the reason for writing the book.
It was in The Keys that Norman first found his passion for cooking and where the unique cultural make-up of the island really made a major influence on his cuisine.
Now all food lovers can enjoy the diverse flavors of Key West with Norman’s new cookbook, co-written with his son, chef Justin Van Aken, My Key West Kitchen: Recipes and Stories, which literally is the father-and-son team’s love letter to the island. Part cookbook, part travelogue, part memoir, follow the two as they stroll through the streets of Key West, reminiscing and recreating dishes from “little joints,” established restaurants, and from the kitchens of friends and family past and present.
On Our Radar
- Paulina Rubio in hot water over concert no show
- John Leguizamo in Miami to talk new movie
- Dave Chappelle seen at club until the wee hours
- Mario Chalmers hosts first annual Red Hot Winter Wonderland
- Robi Draco Rosa reveals that cancer has returned
- Demi Lovato a headliner at Y100 Jingle Ball
- Strange turn in Justin Bieber lawsuit
- Is Lindsay Lohan behind Basel beatdown?
- Paul Walker to costar with Miami native
- Michael Jordan's wife expecting