Blue Collar serves up wallet-friendly comfort food in MiMo
Chef Daniel Serfer aims for working-class cred with Blue Collar, located on Biscayne Boulevard.
6730 Biscayne Blvd, Miami
The goods: MiMo’s American Noodle Bar space aims for working-class cred with Blue Collar, helmed by Chef Daniel Serfer (Chef Allen’s).
Ambience: The tiny spot with 20 indoor seats and space for 18 on the patio is dominated by an open kitchen. A blackboard touts the day’s specials and a rotating list of vegetable sides. Mid-century style white chairs, blue upholstered benches, metal lunchboxes, vintage metal thermoses and waiters in old-school diner uniforms create a homey vibe.
The grub: Contemporary comfort food. Serfer blends childhood favorites with more sophisticated dishes. Prices are neighborhood-friendly, with most starters $6, pastas and mains $11-$25 and sides $4. Wines by the glass are $5-$9, and beers are $3-$5.
Dinner begins with half a loaf of crusty bread and butter. Starter highlights include pork and beans with a fried egg (pictured), bacon-sprinkled shrimp and grits, latkes with house-made applesauce and decadent mac and cheese made with Trugole, Cheddar and Parmesan. Mains include a delicate snapper in spicy red curry sauce, a hefty veggie burger with fries, chicken Parmesan and ribs (baby-back, short or spare). Save room for veggie sides like curried cauliflower puree, roasted beets with goat cheese, grilled asparagus with blue cheese and spaghetti squash with butter.
Down-home desserts include warm berry cobbler, a huge slab of espresso chocolate cake and Heath Bar bread pudding.
The verdict: A mod diner on Biscayne Blvd serving affordable, belly-filling comfort food.
- Red Ginger rolls sushi and izakaya small plates in SoFi
- Tom Colicchio's Beachcraft opens with earnest seasonal cooking
- Tantalize tempts with dancers and churrasco
- Michelle Bernstein is back at her flagship, now called Cena
- Brad Kilgore wants to alter your perceptions at Alter
- Fancy Asian tapas and umami cocktails beckon at Kuro
- Get your frites on: Bistro Cassis opens in midtown Miami
- Take a swim with Soho Bay's fresh fish dishes
- Coral Gables gets buzzy over new Spanish restaurant Piripi
- Icy-cool crudo and rocket-hot rocks at Modern Garden in Miami