5th Street Gym
The 5th Street Gym, once a factory of boxing champs, reopens this week.
Before Miami Beach became a destination for tourists, it was a destination for boxers. One little, run down gym, 5th Street Gym, became almost legendary in the boxing world because owners, brothers Chris and Angelo Dundee, trained countless world boxing champions including Carmen Basilio, Sugar Ray Leonard, Willie Pastrano, and Muhammad Ali. Celebrities such as Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, Jackie Gleason, Joe Louis, and others would make their way to Miami just to touch the magic that was housed inside the walls of the 5th Street Gym.
This Miami Beach landmark that has long since been forgotten is about the make a comeback. The original 5th Street Gym opened in 1950 but closed down 17 years ago. Now the surviving brother, Angelo, at a spry 89 years of age, has teamed up with with a group of entreprenuers/boxing enthusiasts to bring the iconic gym back to its former glory.
Thursday September 23rd from 7 p.m.-10 p.m. there will be an invitation-only red carpet grand opening event featuring cocktails sponsored by Absolut Vodka, delicious bites sponsored by China Grill that will bring together a people who have been trained, inspired, or touched by the magic of the original 5th Street Gym. Guests confirmed for the ribbon cutting will be Angelo Dundee along with three-time heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali, “The Fight Dr.” Ferdie Pacheco, Miami Dolphin great Dan Marino, world famous boxing promoter Don King, trainer Emmanuel Stewart, Lou Duva, Bert Sugar, former heavyweight champion Pinklon Thomas, George Chuvalo, Jerry Cooney, Marc Randazzo, Ed Brophy of the International Boxing Hall of Fame, Desmond Howard, and various others.
The new 5th Street Gym plans teach Angelo Dundee's boxing methods as well as offer MMA training and kickboxing classes. Partners Matthew Baiamonte and Dino Spencer will head up the training programs under the guidance of Angelo Dundee.
See and Do
- Little Havana Visitor Center opens on Calle Ocho
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 24-26
- Festivals of Speed brings luxury to Museum Park
- Island City delivers the laughs and the bite in ‘Little Dog Laughed’
- Outdoor Movies, Earth Day Goodies, Summer Camp & Giveaways: Munchkin Fun's Top picks Apr 20-26
- No 'pleading the fifth' for Andy Cohen in Miami
- Anderson Cooper comes to Miami for an intimate conversation
- Miami Science Museum hosts annual Galaxy Gala and Big Bang fundraiser
- Dennis Watkins brings magic back to the Arsht in ‘The Magnificents’
- South Beach Comedy Festival celebrates a decade of jokes