No More Norman?
It's month of chef shake-ups in the Magic City
Has star chef Norman Van Aken been booted from his own restaurant, Norman's 180 in Coral Gables? Rumors are flying. Despite the fact that a publicist says all is well and Van Aken is still in place there, at least three sources confirm the rumor. In addition to some departed kitchen staff, we heard from a source who likened Van Aken's relationship with the restaurant's investors to a bad marriage, saying it's most likely headed for divorce court.
Van Aken addressed the rumors on Oct. 18 on Twitter: "I am still Chef at Normans 180 and [co] Chef Phil B [Bryant] is still there too. Rumors otherwise are bogus. Cooking in Nashville. Back in 180 on 10/19!'' On Oct. 20, however, Van Aken was in his beloved Key West, tweeting "I hope you understand but I just had to get back to The Island again.'' Which brings up another rumor: that the chef will be leaving the Coral Gables restaurant for one in Key West. And the mill churns ...
In other Miami restaurant news, chef/restaurateur Jonathan Eismann has confirmed the sale of his two Design District restaurants Q American Barbeque and Fin. No word on what's going in there next, but we'll keep you posted.
- Doubling down: Chefs Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth to open second Miami Beach restaurant
- The List: 10 best Miami restaurants with Sugar Factory's chef
- Miami food events: Pubbelly gets fishy, Vagabond chef Alex Chang cooks at Fooq's
- 9 new Asian restaurants in Miami and Miami Beach
- 5 restaurant openings to know about in Miami and Fort Lauderdale
- Miami's 10 best restaurants with chef Jimmy Carey of Jimmy'z Kitchen
- 51 restaurants serving Thanksgiving in Miami and Fort Lauderdale
- Taste of Design gala is Saturday at the Moore Building in Miami
- Miami's 10 best restaurants with chef Makoto Okuwa
- Giveaway: Win tickets to Savor the Season party in Brickell