No joke: Shakira has her baby
Latin pop sensation Shakira and soccer star Gerard Pique of FC Barcelona are parents, for real.
If you recall, late last month, Pique caused quite the worldwide ruckus after tweeting that Shakira had given birth. Ha-ha, the joke was on us, when it came out later that the birth announcement was a hoax. Pique, 25, was only doing what came naturally in honor of the Day of Innocents, which is Spain’s version of April Fools Day.
But it seems Shakira really is a new mom: “We are happy to announce the birth of Milan Piqué Mebarak, son of Shakira Mebarak and Gerard Piqué, born Jan. 22nd at 9:36 p.m. in Barcelona, Spain,” the couple announced on the singer's website. " “The name Milan means dear, loving and gracious in Slavic; in Ancient Roman, eager and laborious; and in Sanskrit, unification.“ It's also a super fashionable city in Italy, but that's another matter.
If you care enough, the couple (frequent visitors to Miami) have invited friends and family to join an online baby shower to benefit underprivileged children. A UNICEF-hosted web site invites those attending the virtual baby shower at http://shakira.socialtoaster.com.
"To celebrate the arrival of our first child, we hope that, in his name, other less privileged children in the world can have their basic needs covered through gifts and donations," reads a message from the 35-year-old Colombian superstar, a goodwill ambassador for the UN children's agency, and Pique. "Thank you for sharing this unforgettable moment with us."
On Our Radar
- Wilmer Valderrama in Miami
- Vanilla Ice headed to the Design District?
- Thrive Seminar, Nelson Foundation will award local entrepreneur $10,000 on Thursday on Miami Beach
- Comedian Jo Koy at Magic City Casino
- Want to get gorgeous fast? Glamsquad is one solution
- Puff Daddy and pals to take stage at Fontainebleau
- Miami Marlins star Giancarlo Stanton single & looking
- Brandon Flowers cancels Fillmore concert
- Zac Efron makes surprise visit to Regal, spins at Grand Central
- Ice Cube and co in town for 'Straight Outta Compton'