Nina Compton leaving chef post at Scarpetta in Miami Beach
'Top Chef' finalist and fan favorite is taking time off to travel.
If you've wanted to try the four-star food at Scarpetta in the Fontainebleau under chef de cuisine and Top Chef finalist Nina Compton, better hurry. Like, now.
Compton has resigned her post at celebrity chef Scott Conant's Miami Beach restaurant; Thursday will be her last day. The St. Lucia-born chef, who finished second in the most recent season of the Bravo TV cooking competition and was voted fan favorite, says she will take some time off to travel before returning to a professional kitchen.
"I am everywhere and nowhere at the same time," she tells us. "I needed to figure out my step."
A statement from the Fontainebleau praised Compton for being "an amazing team member" and named her replacement as chef de cuisine: Marlon Rambaran.
Scarpetta must have made Rambaran a more appealing offer than the one he accepted last month in New York, where he was named head chef of a Long Island seafood restaurant.
According to the Fontainebleau, Rambaran starts "immediately" in Miami Beach, and the resort expects a smooth transition in the kitchen.
- Miami chefs lead Build Your Own Brunch to benefit United Way of Miami-Dade
- Pubbelly Sushi is being exported to the Dominican Republic
- Miami chefs to promote South Florida, equality in Costa Rica culinary trips
- Spring Chicken to open in former Miami's Best Pizza in Coral Gables
- Seed Food & Wine Festival returns to Miami for a celebration of plant-based cuisine
- The Forge in Miami Beach to host kickoff dinner for James Beard Foundation program
- Chefs Up Front dinners in Miami and Fort Lauderdale to benefit kids
- Cavalli Restaurant in South Beach goes into hibernation
- Restaurant closures: 1826 in Miami Beach, Southern Swank Kitchen in Davie
- Barley to open a second Dadeland restaurant in Kendall