Nina Compton leaving chef post at Scarpetta in Miami Beach
'Top Chef' finalist and fan favorite is taking time off to travel.
If you've wanted to try the four-star food at Scarpetta in the Fontainebleau under chef de cuisine and Top Chef finalist Nina Compton, better hurry. Like, now.
Compton has resigned her post at celebrity chef Scott Conant's Miami Beach restaurant; Thursday will be her last day. The St. Lucia-born chef, who finished second in the most recent season of the Bravo TV cooking competition and was voted fan favorite, says she will take some time off to travel before returning to a professional kitchen.
"I am everywhere and nowhere at the same time," she tells us. "I needed to figure out my step."
A statement from the Fontainebleau praised Compton for being "an amazing team member" and named her replacement as chef de cuisine: Marlon Rambaran.
Scarpetta must have made Rambaran a more appealing offer than the one he accepted last month in New York, where he was named head chef of a Long Island seafood restaurant.
According to the Fontainebleau, Rambaran starts "immediately" in Miami Beach, and the resort expects a smooth transition in the kitchen.
- St. Louis-based Pi Pizzeria opening this year in South Beach
- What's the Best? 5 Great Carpaccios
- New-look AltaMare toasts summer with a new happy hour
- Jumbo's closes after 59-year run in Miami's Liberty City
- Ho Wang closes in Surfside; kosher BBQ joint to take its place
- The List: Eating around Miami with Tongue & Cheek's Jamie DeRosa
- Big shucking scallops at Oceanaire in Miami this weekend
- Treat yourself to Sushi Samba & a movie July 22
- Big Pink gets bigger: Miami Beach-themed burgers added to menu
- Cantina la Veinte debuts at Icon Brickell July 28