Night of wine and Rossellini
Art Basel Miami Beach may be one of the world's great visual feasts, but for the 100 or so guests at Wednesday night's $1,000-a-plate gala at The Wolfsonian FIU, it was a literal one as well. Th...
Art Basel Miami Beach may be one of the world's great visual feasts, but for the 100 or so guests at Wednesday night's $1,000-a-plate gala at The Wolfsonian FIU, it was a literal one as well. The talents of French super-chef Jean Georges Vongerichten and the grande dame of American wine, Margrit Mondavi, paired beautifully with the quirky genius of actress-filmmaker Isabella Rossellini.
The wine was an inspired match for Vongerichten's rice-cracker-coated tuna medallions dabbed with siracha-citrus emulsion. A main course of caramelized lamb chops with a smoked chile glaze and a buttery potato puree went gorgeously with a smoky 2007 cabernet reserve that had a nose so big it could have sneezed.
Props and costumes (salmon, giraffes, lizards, bugs) from Rossellini's Green Porno videos adorned the lobby. The Seduce Me video installation featuring her acting out animal-mating strategies is on view through Sunday at The Wolfsonian FIU, 1001 Washington Ave., Miami Beach.
-- VICTORIA P. ELLIOTT
Inge Onsea is the designer of Essentiel, a fashion line widely sold in Europe and Japan. Onsea, who lives in Antwerp, Belgium, is wearing an Essentiel skirt and bag, a Zara top, and shoes by London designer Camilla Skovgaard.
See more at MiamiHerald.com/artbasel.
On Our Radar
- Latino stars come out at New World Symphony
- Jennifer Lopez to perform free concert at Bayfront Park in support of Hillary Clinton
- Adele lends voice in support of Hillary Clinton in Miami
- Udonis Haslem opens Starbucks in Miami
- Which Miami neighborhood will be the next to be ‘Art-Washed’?
- Five reasons to not give up on the Miami Heat
- Larsa and Scottie Pippen to divorce after 19 years
- Boo Madea star Tyler Perry: I don't like Halloween
- Florida has better taste in Halloween candy than most other states, says survey
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'