Underground German DJ steps behind the decks at Space Miami on Saturday
Every night at Club Space (34 NE 11th Street, Miami) will satisfy your craving for cutting-edge house, techno and trance music. But Saturday night, Feb. 5, 2011 will be truly special, as underground German DJ Nick Curly, who blew up dance floors all summer in Ibiza and who was chosen by electronic-music godfather Pete Tong to take over the BBC Radio Essential Mix show, steps behind the decks at the Techno Loft. Curly talked to Miami.com about the show.
How was your summer residency in Ibiza?
Last summer was great. I stayed four months on the island and played amazing gigs for Space and Amnesia.
What does it mean to you to take over the BBC Essential Mix?
Oh, it was great. Essential Mix is still the biggest radio show for electronic dance music, so I was really proud to get a slot from Pete.
How would you describe your sound?
I would, but my sound is a special genre. For sure, it is house/techno music, but the main thing for me is that the beat grooves.
What's the musical mission of your Cecille label?
We are always looking for a new sound. For example, we try not to release the same kind of music that we had in 2010. That's boring, even when it worked last year.
Is the German electronic scene dominated by trance, and if so, what inspired you to break away from that?
No, the German scene is definitely not dominated by trance. We have big names like Paul van Dyk, but to tell you the truth, in Germany they are not really big. Trance is maybe the smallest scene in Germany.
What can we expect from your set at Space Miami?
I always try to play as groovy as I can. My last gig at Space was great, so I'm really looking forward to this one, also because it is the last gig on my tour.
Have you performed in Miami before? If so, what do you think of the city?
I really like to play in Miami. The city has a special vibe, and the weather is always good.
Do you have plans for Winter Music Conference?
Oh, I'm not going to the WMC in 2011. It was a bit confusing with the dates, when the official conference is now, so I decided to stay in Europe.
Nick Curly - Azylum (CEC019 AZYLUM EP) by Cécille Records
- Serge Devant Talks Club Culture in the U.S.
- Dance-music pioneer Jellybean Benitez talks about Madonna, EDM, Studio 54 before event at PAMM
- DJ Tracy Young hosts the Official 'Rebel Heart' Album Release Event at Story in Miami
- Nicole Moudaber brings her sounds to Space on Saturday
- Dada Life brought high-energy show to Miami
- Afrojack warms up the Fourth of July partying with a set at Mansion this Thursday
- Mark Kneppers of Kraak & Smaak in Miami to spin at Bardot
- 'Tis the season to relax with Miami DJ YSL's summer playlist
- Borgore comes to Mansion
- Armin Van Buuren leaves his mark at Miami Music Week 2014