New chef running Miami Beach's Lorenzo Italian restaurant
Chris Wyman returns to Miami, where he worked for Allen Susser.
Chicago chef and restaurateur Tony Mantuano has tapped a New York chef to run his Miami Beach Italian spot, Lorenzo.
Chris Wyman is the new executive chef of the 5-month-old "casual-elegant" restaurant in South Beach's Redbury hotel, effective immediately. It is Wyman's second stint in South Florida, having worked as sous chef at Allen Susser's Chef Allen's before departing for New York.
In Manhattan, he cooked at seafood house Oceana for more than four years and at the flagship Scarpetta for nearly two years as executive chef. (Eater reported that Wyman's cooking wowed Scarpetta chef-owner Scott Conant, who hired him on the spot in 2012.) In February, Wyman left Scarpetta to run the kitchen at Corvo Bianco on New York's Upper West Side, Florence Fabricant noted.
That apparently didn't last long, as James Beard Award-winning Mantuano persuaded Wyman to move back to Miami to help bring focus to Lorenzo, which received a two-star Miami Herald review in January. The critique remarked on "lackluster food" and "bizarre service," but highlighted housemade pastas and "brilliant" grilled octopus. The review also pointed out that Lorenzo's debut executive chef had already departed.
"Chris is exactly the type of culinary talent we strive to bring to our team — he is dedicated, driven and an accomplished chef," Mantuano said in a news release. "He embodies the spirit of Lorenzo with his focus on high-quality imported Italian products coupled with ingredients from the best local farmers, fisherman and producers."
1776 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Ferran Adrià, Jorge Muñoz, Aaron Mulliss & Nick Beardshaw in Miami for Estrella Damm Gastronomy Congress
- Soyka's second act: Miami restaurateur to open first restaurant in 15 years
- Big name chefs heading to Hyde Beach on September 22 for Hunger Action Month
- Ex Milos chef to head up kitchen at Miami River Greek spot, KIKI on the River
- Rick Bayless restaurant Red O opening in downtown Miami next summer
- Where sushi blends old world and new on South Beach
- Top 5 Arepas in Miami from Yelp
- Mimo Restaurant The Fed Shuts Down
- Where to find artisanal chocolate in South Florida
- These are the most popular Indian restaurants in Miami