New chef running Miami Beach's Lorenzo Italian restaurant
Chris Wyman returns to Miami, where he worked for Allen Susser.
Chicago chef and restaurateur Tony Mantuano has tapped a New York chef to run his Miami Beach Italian spot, Lorenzo.
Chris Wyman is the new executive chef of the 5-month-old "casual-elegant" restaurant in South Beach's Redbury hotel, effective immediately. It is Wyman's second stint in South Florida, having worked as sous chef at Allen Susser's Chef Allen's before departing for New York.
In Manhattan, he cooked at seafood house Oceana for more than four years and at the flagship Scarpetta for nearly two years as executive chef. (Eater reported that Wyman's cooking wowed Scarpetta chef-owner Scott Conant, who hired him on the spot in 2012.) In February, Wyman left Scarpetta to run the kitchen at Corvo Bianco on New York's Upper West Side, Florence Fabricant noted.
That apparently didn't last long, as James Beard Award-winning Mantuano persuaded Wyman to move back to Miami to help bring focus to Lorenzo, which received a two-star Miami Herald review in January. The critique remarked on "lackluster food" and "bizarre service," but highlighted housemade pastas and "brilliant" grilled octopus. The review also pointed out that Lorenzo's debut executive chef had already departed.
"Chris is exactly the type of culinary talent we strive to bring to our team — he is dedicated, driven and an accomplished chef," Mantuano said in a news release. "He embodies the spirit of Lorenzo with his focus on high-quality imported Italian products coupled with ingredients from the best local farmers, fisherman and producers."
- Golden Fig farmhouse restaurant opening late summer in ex OTC space
- Pierre's, Morada Beach Cafe off the market with new executive chef, Ishmael Toro
- Dinner at La Savina at Mondrian out; Brooklyn's Momo Sushi Shack 'pop-up' in
- Ted's at YoungArts closed
- LGBT Night at Dos Caminos
- OTC closes in Brickell after 3-year run
- Morimoto South Beach introduces weekend brunch
- Ex District chef, James Beard nominee Horacio Rivadero appointed executive chef at Tantalize
- More tacos on the way: Wapo Taco opening in Coral Gables
- DB Bistro Moderne Miami goes casual for the summer