New chef running Miami Beach's Lorenzo Italian restaurant
Chris Wyman returns to Miami, where he worked for Allen Susser.
Chicago chef and restaurateur Tony Mantuano has tapped a New York chef to run his Miami Beach Italian spot, Lorenzo.
Chris Wyman is the new executive chef of the 5-month-old "casual-elegant" restaurant in South Beach's Redbury hotel, effective immediately. It is Wyman's second stint in South Florida, having worked as sous chef at Allen Susser's Chef Allen's before departing for New York.
In Manhattan, he cooked at seafood house Oceana for more than four years and at the flagship Scarpetta for nearly two years as executive chef. (Eater reported that Wyman's cooking wowed Scarpetta chef-owner Scott Conant, who hired him on the spot in 2012.) In February, Wyman left Scarpetta to run the kitchen at Corvo Bianco on New York's Upper West Side, Florence Fabricant noted.
That apparently didn't last long, as James Beard Award-winning Mantuano persuaded Wyman to move back to Miami to help bring focus to Lorenzo, which received a two-star Miami Herald review in January. The critique remarked on "lackluster food" and "bizarre service," but highlighted housemade pastas and "brilliant" grilled octopus. The review also pointed out that Lorenzo's debut executive chef had already departed.
"Chris is exactly the type of culinary talent we strive to bring to our team — he is dedicated, driven and an accomplished chef," Mantuano said in a news release. "He embodies the spirit of Lorenzo with his focus on high-quality imported Italian products coupled with ingredients from the best local farmers, fisherman and producers."
1776 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Where to find artisanal chocolate in South Florida
- These are the most popular Indian restaurants in Miami
- How to get gourmet clean eating in South Beach
- RIP Randazzo's Little Italy in Coral Gables
- Who has Miami's favorite acai bowls? Yelp! weighs in
- Tap 42 opening second Miami location in ex-Aperio space in Midtown
- Nibble + Squeak dining club for "parents with pipsqueaks" launches in Miami August 24 at Mignonette
- The Rumor Mill: Murmurs of more Miami restaurant, market closings and chef firings . . .
- 305 Brews beer and coffee bar opening in August in Midtown Miami
- Alex Chang leaves The Vagabond, which will re-debut with new chef, new name