New World Symphony Grand Opening Gala
Classical music enthusiasts (with bucks) support the New World Symphony at the Grand Gala Opening this Saturday.
What’s sure to be one of, (if not THE) biggest events of the year takes place this Saturday, January 29, as the New World Symphony’s Grand Opening Gala celebrates the first black tie event in the New World Symphony’s Frank Gehry-designed campus (500 17 Street, Miami Beach).
The opening gala will unlock this ginormous music box for its supporters, art and music lovers, business leaders and cultural dignitaries. The gala will begin with cocktails, then New World Symphony Co-Founder and Artistic Director Michael Tilson Thomas will present a multi media concert, featuring the world premiere of stunning video art complementing Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition, followed by cocktails amid Gehry’s soaring shapes and then dinner under the stars on the Mary and Howard Frank Plaza and a late night after party and performance by Broadway star Audra McDonald.
Gala guests will also take home custom-made Baccarat etched crystal gifts (valued at over $230). While the ticket prices are steep: single tickets cost $10,000 and tables go for $100,000, the gala’s net goal, which is set at $1.5 million will go towards the underwriting of NWS fellowships and community engagement programs, bringing free performances and music lessons to schools, retirement homes and hospitals.
The gala committee has already raised $2 million for the community engagement programming. For more information, contact Rebecca Mandelman at 305-428-6733.
See and Do
- 'Book of Mormon,' 'Newsies' headline Arsht Center's next season
- Puppet shows, storytimes, spring break & 10 other fun things to do this week
- Gipsy Kings celebrate 25 years of 'Bamboleo' at the Hard Rock on May 15
- King Arthur and his knights get goofy in ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- ‘War Horse’ brings its imaginative, moving drama to Miami’s Arsht Center
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Mar. 7-9
- Calle Ocho: 5 Things we are excited about this year
- Daddy Yankee reigns as the King of Calle Ocho
- World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship brings golf and more to Doral
- Fair freebies, 110 years of Dr Seuss, Lego builds & 10 other fun things to do this week