New World Center Kick Off Week
New World Symphony inaugurates its new building with a week of concerts and events.
The New World Symphony shows off its new Frank Gehry-designed digs with a week's worth of concerts, galas and celebrations. Have a look at the schedule:
Tuesday, Jan. 25 at 7 p.m. Grand Opening Ceremony, followed by the public inauguration of the magnificent exterior projection wall, and the premiere of an extraordinary new video mural by artists Tal Rosner and C.E.B. Reas.
Wednesday, Jan. 26 at 7:30 p.m. Opening Concert: Michel Tilson Thomas and the New World Symphony perform Wagner’s dramatic Flying Dutchman Overture and Copland’s majestic Third Symphony. Also featuring the world premiere of a newly commissioned work by renowned British composer Thomas Adès and exciting video art by Tal Rosner. $100 per ticket, based on availability. To purchase tickets, contact the box office at 305-673-3331.
Thursday, Jan. 27 at 7 p.m. A Schubert Journey: MTT demonstrates the unprecedented versatility of our new hall with this three-part journey into the music and lyric genius of Franz Schubert. $100 per ticket, based on availability. To purchase tickets, contact the box office at 305-673-3331.
Performance will also be “wallcast” onto the building’s 7,000-square-foot projection wall, featuring a high-quality audio system designed to envelop outdoor audiences in the sound of the orchestra. Experience classical music like never before—from a beautiful public park.
Friday, Jan. 28 at 7:30 p.m. Opening Concert: Reprise. The program of January 26 will be wallcast live onto the exterior projection wall. $100 per ticket, based on availability. To purchase tickets, contact the box office at 305-673-3331.
Sunday, Jan. 30. 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Pictures at an Exhibition: A community open house. During two free performances for the entire family, the public can share in a collaboration between the New World Symphony and the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts, where 13 student and faculty filmmakers have created short films to be shown as MTT and the orchestra perform Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition. Tickets give away through a lottery, to enter the contest, go to www.classicalsouthflorida.org.
See and Do
- Bayfront Park hosts tree lighting event to kick off holiday season
- Momix will perform and teach a master class at Broward Center
- 17 Fun Things to Do This Holiday Week: Nov 23-29
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 20-22
- ‘Newsies’ dances its way back to South Florida with a charming leading man
- Some Miami Book Fair events of note (in a weekend of hundreds)
- Miami Book Fair, a literary cornucopia, kicks off
- Give Miami Day, Nov. 19, is a chance to support Miami charities
- 15 things to do with the kids this week: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 13-15