New World Center Kick Off Week
New World Symphony inaugurates its new building with a week of concerts and events.
The New World Symphony shows off its new Frank Gehry-designed digs with a week's worth of concerts, galas and celebrations. Have a look at the schedule:
Tuesday, Jan. 25 at 7 p.m. Grand Opening Ceremony, followed by the public inauguration of the magnificent exterior projection wall, and the premiere of an extraordinary new video mural by artists Tal Rosner and C.E.B. Reas.
Wednesday, Jan. 26 at 7:30 p.m. Opening Concert: Michel Tilson Thomas and the New World Symphony perform Wagner’s dramatic Flying Dutchman Overture and Copland’s majestic Third Symphony. Also featuring the world premiere of a newly commissioned work by renowned British composer Thomas Adès and exciting video art by Tal Rosner. $100 per ticket, based on availability. To purchase tickets, contact the box office at 305-673-3331.
Thursday, Jan. 27 at 7 p.m. A Schubert Journey: MTT demonstrates the unprecedented versatility of our new hall with this three-part journey into the music and lyric genius of Franz Schubert. $100 per ticket, based on availability. To purchase tickets, contact the box office at 305-673-3331.
Performance will also be “wallcast” onto the building’s 7,000-square-foot projection wall, featuring a high-quality audio system designed to envelop outdoor audiences in the sound of the orchestra. Experience classical music like never before—from a beautiful public park.
Friday, Jan. 28 at 7:30 p.m. Opening Concert: Reprise. The program of January 26 will be wallcast live onto the exterior projection wall. $100 per ticket, based on availability. To purchase tickets, contact the box office at 305-673-3331.
Sunday, Jan. 30. 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Pictures at an Exhibition: A community open house. During two free performances for the entire family, the public can share in a collaboration between the New World Symphony and the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts, where 13 student and faculty filmmakers have created short films to be shown as MTT and the orchestra perform Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition. Tickets give away through a lottery, to enter the contest, go to www.classicalsouthflorida.org.
See and Do
- King Arthur and his knights get goofy in ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- ‘War Horse’ brings its imaginative, moving drama to Miami’s Arsht Center
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Mar. 7-9
- Calle Ocho: 5 Things we are excited about this year
- Daddy Yankee reigns as the King of Calle Ocho
- World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship brings golf and more to Doral
- Fair freebies, 110 years of Dr Seuss, Lego builds & 10 other fun things to do this week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Feb. 28-Mar. 2
- Carnaval on the Mile kicks off a busy month in Miami
- Whoopi Goldberg heads to the Arsht Center for a night of laughs