New Restaurants in Miami - January 2012
New restaurants in Miami - January 2012: Bite into something new this year
The Delano: 1685 Collins Ave, Miami Beach
6730 Biscayne Blvd, Miami
190 NE 46 St
The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions
5132 Biscayne Blvd, Miami
3404 N Miami Ave, Miami
Lolita Cocina & Tequila
100 Collins Ave, Miami Beach
1541 Washington Ave, Miami Beach
1102 Lincoln Rd, Miami Beach
Welcome to 2012 - 12 months of new bites, sips & feasts waiting to be enjoyed. We're three days into January and Miami's food scene is abuzz with new openings...
- The Delano replaces the Blue Door with Bianca beginning Jan 27. Run by Las Vegas nightlife gurus The Light Group, Bianca promises "an inventive Italian menu featuring local, farm-to-table organic ingredients" according to Eater Miami. Executive chef Brian Massie (who trained with Lidia Bastianich & Charlie Palmer) promises wood grilled langostines, NY sirloin and truffle agnolotti. In other Delano news, Blue Sea is now Umi Sushi & Sake Bar, but continues to serve sushi & sake.
- Blue Collar brings "contemporary comfort food" to Biscayne Blvd beginning Friday, Jan 13. Snag one of 20 inside seats or 18 outside seats and feast on pork & beans smoky bacon, Berkshire sausage, crispy skin snapper rock shrimp, red currty and a daily "VEG chalkboard."
- Café 190 is slated to bring upscale comfort food to the Design District beginning Monday, Jan 23. The man behind the launch is Mario Rubeo, Miami managing partner of the late, local Joe Allen’s, who says Café 190 will serve moderately priced regional American food with Mediterranean and Italian influences (burgers, pizza, steak, meatloaf, pasta) at lunch and dinner daily, with weekend breakfasts planned.
- Pop up shop Phuc Yea has shut its doors and its team, Alejandro Ortiz, Anièce Meinhold and Cesar Zapata, is now opening the Federal Food, Drink & Provisions on Biscayne. "The Fed" plans to open mid-January 2012 and offer Bits, Potted Stuffs, Ham ‘n Cheese, Small Shares, Pot Pies, Big’uns, & Then Some and Sweetums. Highlights include buffalo pig wings, biscuits & gravy, crispy pig ears, pastrami cured fatted duck liver, slow cooked duck, roasted porterhouse, Grove Farms grilled lamb chops and elk chili. The New Times call the modern American tavern a place where "Paul Revere rubs elbows with Jumpin' Jack Flash 21st century-style." UPDATE - the Fed (pictured) is estimating opening the week of Jan 16.
- George's announced its third French bistro concept will be opening in June in Midtown, joining the festive Grove & South Miami locations. The New Times reports the new two-story location will have an upstairs loft for live music and "copious" wine drinking while the downstairs will host the dining room.
- Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar brings highbrow Mexican eats South of Fifth beginning Friday, Jan 13. Feast on four types of guacamole (fresco, picante, bbq pork belly and especial), chorizo nachos, pulled pork tacos and carnitas while washing it down with agave cocktails, sangria and agua frescas. Looks for high drama, high-end eats & a scene in the former Nemo space.
- Grilled cheese arrives in masse (again) on SoBe as MLT opens on Washington Ave. Build your own grilled cheese (choose bread, cheese & toppings), bite into an All American Classic (American cheese, tomato, challah) or the BBQ Short Rib (white truffle cheddar, braised BBQ short ribs, challah), feast on a cheesesteak or accessorize with truffle mac & cheese, homemade waffles, sliders or the MLT salad.
- Manhattan favorite Serendipity 3 has migrated south, opening a Lincoln Rd location. Bring on the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate! A full menu of casseroles, fish, crepes, pastas, omelettes and meats is available, but desserts are the big draw. We dare you to pass up the original or peanut butter Frrrozen Hot Chocolate. The New Times notes the original location opened in New York in 1954, wooing Marilyn Monroe, Jackie O and other celebs with its trademark hot chocolate and "over-the-top" desserts like Pirate's Treasure Chest and Golden Opulence Sundae. Eater notes Serendipity 3's fondness for Hello Kitty and that it already operates a branch at the Boca Raton Resort & Club for hotel guests.
- The List: Casa D'Angelo's Angelo Elia
- Dewey LoSasso to run new restaurant at Schnebly Winery and Miami Brewing Co.
- American Social now open in Brickell
- Cibo Wine Bar expands to South Beach
- Top 10 most popular Miami food/drink places on Instagram in 2014
- The List: The Dutch's Conor Hanlon
- Stephen Starr to open second restaurant in Bal Harbour
- Philly diner Green Eggs Cafe opens in Aventura
- New restaurants add to Doral's food options
- Escopazzo closes in South Beach after 21-year run