New restaurants coming to South Beach, Brickell
Downstairs at Hotel Astor, Porcao & Ceviche 105
South Beach and Brickell — two of Miami-Dade’s most restaurant-happy neighborhoods — are getting ready to welcome new three new places to eat. In order of anticipated opening:
- The Downstairs at Hotel Astor will give things a whirl when it opens Friday on the lower level of the Art Deco hotel at 956 Washington Ave. The space, which most recently housed the pop-up cocktail lounge Drinking Room, will serve food from chef Chad Ford, formerly of DeVito’s South Beach. Expect “modern American fare with a European accent,” a spokeswoman said.
- Porcao swears it’s not crying wolf with its latest planned opening in early April. The “farm-to-grill” eatery and lounge downtown at 901 S. Miami Ave. had threatened to open in September, then October, then November, then ... you get the idea. Even by typical restaurant-delay standards, Porcao’s production has been especially protracted, including parting ways with original preopening chef Steve Permaul last summer. “We’ve been waiting for this day for months, and I’m thrilled that it is finally here,” said executive chef Jeff O’Neill, most recently of the Villa by Barton G. The new Porcao has no relation to the former Porcao Churrascaria on Brickell Key. It does, however, feature a meat-heavy menu that includes a $24 Kao Girl Box Steak, which promotional materials describe as being “female-friendly.”
- Ceviche 105 (or Cvi.Che 105, as chef-owners Juan Chipoco and Luis Hoyos prefer) is said to be moving in to the former Kim’s Chinese space at 1245 Lincoln Rd., next door to Haven. Help-wanted signs in the windows say an “upscale Peruvian” restaurant is in the works. The inside appears to have at least a few months of work ahead before it’s ready for the masses. The space has been vacant since Kim’s closed in 2012 after more than four decades; there were short-lived rumors last year of an outpost of Govind Armstrong’s 8 Oz. Burger Bar moving in.
- Beefed-up seafood menu at Steak 954
- New chef, hot-stone concept at Seasalt & Pepper
- NY-based Quality Meats to open Miami Beach steakhouse
- Miami's rising culinary stars: 30 Under 30
- Michelle Bernstein to pop up at Art Basel 2014
- The List: Rocco's Tacos' Rocco Mangel
- For Michael Mina's ninja-chef, freaking out is not an option
- Thanksgiving 2014: South Florida Dining Guide
- Chef Brad Kilgore to open Alter restaurant in Wynwood
- Secretive "Dîner en Blanc" coming in December