A new Pincho Factory opens; celebrate the 80s at Tobacco Road
Cat Shell sings at Regent Cocktail Club; The District brings new dishes
Pincho, We're Dreaming
After much anticipation, Bird Road's fave family Pincho Factory finally celebrates its grand Gables opening at 30 Giralda Ave. beginning at 4:45 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 4. And because owner Nedal Ahmad has not only good taste in food but a clue, the new Pincho Factory will celebrate its opening with an Ultimate beer Happy Hour in which everyone gets a free pint of beer with their order. Drink your way through the weekend? No problem. Pincho's popular Sunday brunch has Nutella waffles, red velvet pancakes and the legendary Toston Burger which may have been made with a hangover in mind. Or women. “My love for food came from growing up in a family with nine women,” says Ahmad who also adds, “While the men in my family would converge in one part of the house, I would be in the kitchen learning the secrets to my family’s cooking.”
Like, Totally Tubular
The 80s are etched into the annals of pop culture in so many ways. Neon, Reagan, skinny ties, mullets, ridiculous Valley-speak. And then there's the music. Paying homage to the best relics of that decade from 8 p.m. until 2 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 5 is The 6th Annual 80s Flashback Music Festival at Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave. The 'fest will feature three stages of non-stop music by original bands and artists paying homage to the hits of the decade. The person sporting the best 80s getup will win $100, which, with inflation, should be worth much more. Free before 8 p.m. and $10 cover after. For more information, call 305-303-3976.
Speakeasy, Drink Well
Jay Gatsby and Nucky Thompson are alive and well from 10 p.m. to midnight every Thursday at the Regent Cocktail Club's (1685 James Ave.) new Thursday homage to the jazz age, The Cat's Meow. In addition to music by Cat Shell channeling Kitty Carmichael, the cocktail club will offer all sorts of giggle water in the form of Hendricks Gin and Reyka Vodka. It would only be more authentic if it were illegal.
In Your District
The space at 190 NE 46th St. has been through many incarnations (its first, 190, being the coolest) and after a by-invitation-only party on Friday, Oct. 4, the space will officially transform into what will hopefully be its last -- The District, a Pan American collabo between managing partner Alexander Ringleib of Casa Tua, Devito's, Balthazar, Pastis and Wolfgang's in Beverly Hills experience and Food & Wine's Best New Chef for the Gulf Region of 2012, Horacio Rivadero, who says "My dishes will reveal a cultural taste of North, South, Central America and the Caribbean, all prepared with local produce from each area, bringing to light the best of each region. I want to give back to the community and showcase the best of what Pan-America has to offer."
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more
- Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano