New-look Larios on the Beach puts an Estefan spin on Cuban food
The longtime restaurant at 820 Ocean Dr. is back with a new look and menu.
Larios on the Beach
820 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach
Hours: Lunch and dinner daily
The who: Gloria and Emilio Estefan’s 22-year-old restaurant, Larios on the Beach, recently reopened with a new look and a new health-conscious take on Cuban classics. Executive chef Odell Torres runs the kitchen.
The space: The Ocean Drive stalwart still opens up to sidewalk seating but now there’s a new outdoor café and espresso bar. Indoors are mosaic tile murals (one of Gloria herself), cream-colored banquettes, floors made of seashells and a candle-lit lounge with wrap-around couches.
The dishes: Traditional Cuban with some modern tweaks. Expect to see staples like ropa vieja (shredded beef in a tomato-based sauce), arroz con pollo (chicken with yellow rice) and fried plantains in addition to some innovative spins like barbecue guava ribs, bacon-wrapped maduros and fried green plantains stuffed with shrimp.
Larios' legendary lechon remains, but Torres has added “Calorie-Conscious Cuban” alternatives like baked plantain chips, grilled grouper and whole-grain brown rice.
Prices are touristy, but portions are big, with starters $8-$15 and mains $19-$49.
The bottom line: The Estefans' traditional Cuban supper club is reborn with a fresh look and lighter dishes.
- Fork and Balls busts out a lotta love for meatballs in Fort Lauderdale
- L'echon Brasserie blends French classics with Pubbelly twists in Miami Beach
- La Gazzetta in Miami draws crowds for its pizzas, happy hour, desserts
- New El'eat Restaurant goes for Modern American in North Miami Beach
- Basil Park boosts healthy food in Sunny Isles Beach
- New BLT Prime gets Trump treatment in Doral
- New AQ restaurant serves Florida-centric fare in Sunny Isles Beach's ritzy Acqualina Resort
- Orange Blossom restaurant in Miami Beach has Old Florida feel with New American cooking
- Shikany cooks whimsical food in Wynwood
- Porcao parks cheeky Miami steakhouse in Brickell