New-look Larios on the Beach puts an Estefan spin on Cuban food
The longtime restaurant at 820 Ocean Dr. is back with a new look and menu.
Larios on the Beach
820 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach
Hours: Lunch and dinner daily
The who: Gloria and Emilio Estefan’s 22-year-old restaurant, Larios on the Beach, recently reopened with a new look and a new health-conscious take on Cuban classics. Executive chef Odell Torres runs the kitchen.
The space: The Ocean Drive stalwart still opens up to sidewalk seating but now there’s a new outdoor café and espresso bar. Indoors are mosaic tile murals (one of Gloria herself), cream-colored banquettes, floors made of seashells and a candle-lit lounge with wrap-around couches.
The dishes: Traditional Cuban with some modern tweaks. Expect to see staples like ropa vieja (shredded beef in a tomato-based sauce), arroz con pollo (chicken with yellow rice) and fried plantains in addition to some innovative spins like barbecue guava ribs, bacon-wrapped maduros and fried green plantains stuffed with shrimp.
Larios' legendary lechon remains, but Torres has added “Calorie-Conscious Cuban” alternatives like baked plantain chips, grilled grouper and whole-grain brown rice.
Prices are touristy, but portions are big, with starters $8-$15 and mains $19-$49.
The bottom line: The Estefans' traditional Cuban supper club is reborn with a fresh look and lighter dishes.
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach
- La Terrasse restaurant serves high-end French-Med in South Beach
- Campania plants Southern Italian flag in Miami's Design District
- La Savina in the Mondrian puts a little Ibiza in South Beach
- Tacos and more at Miami Beach's bodacious Bodega
- Bistro Bal Harbour weaves Latin influences into modern American cooking
- 27 Restaurant serving eclectic home cooking, stylish cocktails in Miami Beach
- Jean-Georges turns to Latino cooking at new Matador Room in Miami Beach