New kitchen leadership at Bocce Bar
Chef Daniel Tackett is now working at the SushiSamba group's Italian spot in midtown Miami.
A change is afoot in the kitchen of Bocce Bar in midtown Miami.
The Italian-style restaurant, which opened late last year to mixed reviews, posted a photo on its Instagram page this week of "our chefs in action."
Neither of the guys pictured (above) was chef-partner Timon Balloo, who runs Bocce and the neighboring Sugarcane with the SushiSamba restaurant group. But one of them is a new-to-Miami face: Chef Daniel Tackett, who worked as sous chef at Michael White's Marea in New York and previously at Scott Conant's Scarpetta in New York.
This isn't Tackett's first stint in South Florida. Fort Lauderdale eatery Valentino brought on Tackett as chef de cusine a year ago.
Has Tackett taken over for Balloo in leading the Bocce Bar kitchen? Will the restaurant change directions under his leadership?
We've asked Samba's representatives for details. More as we learn it.
UPDATE (7/25): Multiple sources confirm Tackett is indeed the new executive chef at Bocce Bar. Balloo remains in charge of Sugarcane, a concept that the Samba group hopes to expand beyond Miami.
- Juvia's Japanese sibling Sushi Garage opens in Miami's Sunset Harbor 'hood
- Now open: Coconut Grove's Spasso--"Simple, honest, brutal food"
- Food Network UK star Andy Bates brings "refined British pub food" to A&E District with 3-day pop up
- Blair Wilson, Mike Isabella, Jennifer Carroll, George Pagnois headline Surfcomber food fest
- The Bridge Cocktail Bar's December takeover of The Local Craft Food & Drink
- Kevin Cory transforms NAOE sibling into N Shabu Shabu
- Alinea in Residence comes to Miami: Chef Grant Achatz to pop up at Faena Miami Beach
- Former Miami restaurant owner Joshua Woodward pleaded no contest Friday to attempted murder for trying to induce a miscarriage
- Jose Garces planning Miami restaurant
- Update: CANCELED Brooklyn's Pies 'n' Thighs pops up at the Mondrian