New kitchen leadership at Bocce Bar
Chef Daniel Tackett is now working at the SushiSamba group's Italian spot in midtown Miami.
A change is afoot in the kitchen of Bocce Bar in midtown Miami.
The Italian-style restaurant, which opened late last year to mixed reviews, posted a photo on its Instagram page this week of "our chefs in action."
Neither of the guys pictured (above) was chef-partner Timon Balloo, who runs Bocce and the neighboring Sugarcane with the SushiSamba restaurant group. But one of them is a new-to-Miami face: Chef Daniel Tackett, who worked as sous chef at Michael White's Marea in New York and previously at Scott Conant's Scarpetta in New York.
This isn't Tackett's first stint in South Florida. Fort Lauderdale eatery Valentino brought on Tackett as chef de cusine a year ago.
Has Tackett taken over for Balloo in leading the Bocce Bar kitchen? Will the restaurant change directions under his leadership?
We've asked Samba's representatives for details. More as we learn it.
UPDATE (7/25): Multiple sources confirm Tackett is indeed the new executive chef at Bocce Bar. Balloo remains in charge of Sugarcane, a concept that the Samba group hopes to expand beyond Miami.
- Chef Jeremiah & Roel Alcudia team up on gastroDobo, a 1-night Filipino pop-up in Wynwood
- GK Bistronomie bringing 'globally inspired Peruvian' cuisine to Wynwood
- Habit Burger opens in Miami, donates first-week proceeds to charity
- 'Chopped' champ Mathias Gervais opening modern Asian restaurant at The Setai
- Morimoto closing Sept. 30 in South Beach
- For the first time, a woman runs the kitchen at The Forge in Miami Beach
- Marion Miami restaurant gets set to open in Brickell
- Dinner Lab hosts Miami meal with gin pairings on Aug. 25
- Miami restaurateur Michael Schwartz faces federal lawsuit alleging employee mistreatment
- Wynwood Diner opens this weekend in Miami