New kitchen leadership at Bocce Bar
Chef Daniel Tackett is now working at the SushiSamba group's Italian spot in midtown Miami.
A change is afoot in the kitchen of Bocce Bar in midtown Miami.
The Italian-style restaurant, which opened late last year to mixed reviews, posted a photo on its Instagram page this week of "our chefs in action."
Neither of the guys pictured (above) was chef-partner Timon Balloo, who runs Bocce and the neighboring Sugarcane with the SushiSamba restaurant group. But one of them is a new-to-Miami face: Chef Daniel Tackett, who worked as sous chef at Michael White's Marea in New York and previously at Scott Conant's Scarpetta in New York.
This isn't Tackett's first stint in South Florida. Fort Lauderdale eatery Valentino brought on Tackett as chef de cusine a year ago.
Has Tackett taken over for Balloo in leading the Bocce Bar kitchen? Will the restaurant change directions under his leadership?
We've asked Samba's representatives for details. More as we learn it.
UPDATE (7/25): Multiple sources confirm Tackett is indeed the new executive chef at Bocce Bar. Balloo remains in charge of Sugarcane, a concept that the Samba group hopes to expand beyond Miami.
- Vikram Katoch appointed new executive chef at Bianca
- Restaurant-season slowdown hits Miami
- Caviar launches Miami delivery service from Blue Collar, Miami Smokers and more
- BBQ night at Harry's Pizzeria
- Munch, munch, pass: 4/20 dinner sparks up at Eating House in Coral Gables
- Lindsay Autry, Xavier Torres, Todd Erickson, Jason Pringle, & Richard Hales to compete in Cochon 555
- Phuc-in Yay! Phuc Yea! Vietnamese pop-up to go permanent mid-May
- Coya Miami opening Thursday, February 19
- 3.5 star review can't keep 27 open; Broken Shaker, restaurant shut temporarily at Freehand
- Wynwood Diner opening in March