Navigating Art Deco Weekend
Deco for Dummies: Here's what you need to know before you go to Art Deco Weekend on Miami Beach.
So, this is your first time heading to Art Deco weekend on South Beach and you are wondering how you are going to navigate the more than 85 touring events and vendor booths featuring antique dealers, food, beverage and merchandise?
Not to worry. We have some tips.
Clothing: You won't have to worry about the cold, as we will enjoy temperatures in the mid-70s during the day. So, no need for that wool coat or sweater. However, with the majority of the events outside, make sure to wear comfy shoes (especially for those walking tours) and perhaps even bring an umbrella, as there is a chance of showers.
Parking: Ah, yes, the biggest challenge on the beach is finding a spot for your car. With Ocean Drive closed between Fifth and 15th streets, the organizing committee suggests these parking garages as your best bet
- Seventh Street Garage: Between Washington and Collins.
- 12th Street Garage: Just west of Washington Avenue.
- 13th Street Garage: Just east of Collins.
- 17th Street Garage at Convention Center Drive.
There are also municipal parking lots at South Pointe Park; Washington Avenue and Ninth Street; Washington Avenue and 10th Street; Collins Avenue and 13th Street; Pennsylvania Avenue and 17th Street; and Convention Center Drive and 18th Street.
Additional handicapped parking is available on Ocean Drive at the Fifth Street entrance to Lummus Park.
Shuttle service: If you live on Miami Beach or park far from the main strip of activity (Ocean Drive between Fifth and 15th streets), the South Beach Local Shuttle runs on Washington Avenue from South Pointe Park to 17th Street throughout the day. The ride costs just 25 cents.
Shopping: The booths on Ocean Drive will open from noon to 11 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday; and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday. Items for sale range from original works of art to carnival-style foods and drinks. Bring plenty of cash, as not all booths accept credit cards.
Tours: Ever wondered about a unique looking building or hotel on South Beach? Guided walking tours during Art Deco Weekend are led by local architects, preservationists and historians and last approximately 90 minutes. Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for seniors and children under 12 are free. Click here for more detail on the tours.
Art Deco Weekend 2010
Fri., Jan. 15 - Sun., Jan. 17
See and Do
- 20 great parks, 20 great outings
- Instagram photos that prove that Biscayne National Park is a dazzling gem
- Check out these 5 events during Downtown Art Days
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Aug 26-28
- 'Star Wars' marathon at the Olympia Theater
- 'Psychic Match' star Deborah Graham talks about finding real love at Books & Books
- Public art to hunt down in Brickell and Downtown
- Surreal dance stories from Cuba
- Comic Iliza Shlesinger to bring her wit and wisdom to West Palm Beach
- 6 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Aug. 19-21