Nautica South Beach Triathlon
Swim, bike and run next to your favorite celebrities at the Nautica South Beach Triathlon.
Nautica South Beach Triathlon
Saturday, April 9 - Sunday, April 10
Where: 5th Street and Ocean Drive in South Beach at the southern tip of Lummus Park
Participants in the 2010 Nautica South Beach Triathlon were lucky enough to run, swim or bike next to (or behind) dancing divo Cristian de la Fuente as well as a slew of other famous athletes, reality stars and celebrities. This year should be no exception as the triathlon is always replete with the fit and the famous.
The event starts Sunday, April 9 with the Beach Expo, where participants can pick up their packets and enjoy the activities for the entire family, like sandcastle making, informational booths and clinics. The race starts Sunday morning, bright and early (6:55 a.m. for those competing in the International Distance race, 7:40 a.m. for those competing in the Classic Distance race). The Classic race consists of a half mile ocean swim, 19 mile bike ride and a 4 mile run. The Olympic distance race which features a 1.5k ocean swim, a 40k bike ride and a 10k run.
The ocean swim in the beautiful, warm water will run parallel to South Beach. The bike course will be a relatively flat course crossing over Miami Beach's famous Causeways with scenic views of the Intracoastal Waterway, downtown Miami and Miami Beach. The K-Swiss Run Course will be alongside Miami Beach's Art Deco District, finishing on the white sands of South Beach.
Notable competitors confirmed to take in this year’s 2011 races include North Carolina Panther’s running back DeAngelo Williams, 2011 Winter X Games gold medalist skier Sarah Burke, “Pirates of the Caribbean’s” Greg Ellis, “Big Love’s” Patrick Fabian, “Traffic Light’s” David Denman and returning participants, NBC “The Biggest Loser’s” Ali Vincent, “Dancing with the Star’s” Cristian de la Fuente, “The Bold and the Beautiful’s” Heather Tom and actor Geoff Stults. In addition, Jimi Jamison, former lead singer of 80’s rock band Survivor, will perform the national anthem.
The fee for the Olympic distance race is $140 for individuals, $190 for relay teams. The Classic distance race is $100 for individuals and $140 for teams. If you don't want to sweat yourself and prefer to see famous folks looking as un-glam as possible, here are some tips on where to park.
The Nautica South Beach Triathlon benefits St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, with a portion of the proceeds going directly to pediatric cancer research.
For more information visit www.southbeachtri.com.
See and Do
- Third Thursdays at Perez Art Museum Miami brings music and drinks
- Memorial Day Weekend Events - 2015
- Haitian Book Fair to celebrate Caribbean culture for 3rd year
- Annie, Open Play & Freebie Fun: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks for Memorial Day Week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - May 15-17
- Haitian Compas Festival encores at Sun Life Stadium with System Band and many more
- Siempre Flamenco hosts Cafe Cantante at the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center
- The Rhythm Foundation's Dance Band Night kicks off with The French Horn
- What if Works presents Chekhov's 'The Cherry Orchard'
- S'mores, the Hunger Games & Annie: Munchkin Fun's Top picks May 11-17