Musical Culture Clash at Miami Broward One Carnival
Four music collectives representing Miami's musical styles compete for Red Bull Music Academy event's top spot judged by the crowd
After much success in London and Los Angeles, Red Bull Music Academy Culture Clash will make its East Coast debut during Miami Broward Carnival on Sunday at Sun Life Stadium (347 Don Shula Dr., Miami Gardens).
Four music collectives will battle to be named winner by the crowd. The collectives will be Black Chiney DJ Collective, Beauty & The Beats with House Arrest, Soulfrito DJ Collective, and the Uncle Luke Allstars.
Hosted by Papa Keith and Vanessa James, the collectives represent genres in the Miami music scene: reggae, chutney, house, dubstep, soca and calypso, Latin, and Miami bass.
Each collective will bring in their own sound system and will set up shop on one of four individual stages. The format of the show will be broken into four rounds and the crowd will vote after each round, their applause and cheers measured by a decibel meter. The first round will be the “selection round,” where each collective will be voted upon based on their selection of music. The second will be the “entertainment round” where each collective will bring a special guest to their stage. The third “I can do what you do better” round will challenge each collective to stray from their norm and play a different sound system’s genre of music on their own. The fourth and final round is the “banger round” as each stage will pull out their biggest and baddest tunes to win over the crowd once and for all.
Gates open at 11 a.m. and the show starts at 3:30 p.m. Admission to Red Bull Music Academy Culture Clash is included in the Miami Broward Carnival ticket.
- Noire Miami’s weekend guide for things to do in South Florida during the holiday weekend
- Noire Miami weekend guide: Natural Hair Expo, Nicole Henry Holiday Concert, Black Male Revisited, and more
- From Miami to the United Arab Emirates, A Cultural Experience
- Noire Miami recaps Art Basel 2013
- Noire Miami’s Ultimate Black Basel guide – Part 3: The mega list of all the parties
- Noire Miami’s Ultimate Black Basel guide – Part 2: Live music events for a Hip Hop Art Basel vibe
- Noire Miami’s Ultimate Black Basel guide – Part 1: Black exhibits to check out during Art Basel 2013
- Miami Reggae Festival serves up international reggae from across the globe
- Rick Ross wraps up 'Mastermind' tour Saturday at James L. Knight Center
- Art of Transformation, Cash Mob Noir, and other things to do in South Florida Nov 15 - Nov 18