The Museum of Science and Discovery hosts Meet the Animals
Get up close and personal with the furry, warty, slithery and creepy animal friends at the Museum of Science and Discovery.
Meet the Animals at the Museum of Science and Discovery
Open Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday from noon to 6 p.m.
Meet the Animals activities are included in exhibit admission prices are $13 adults; $12 seniors; $11 children 2 to 12. Children under 2 and museum members are free.
Museum of Discovery and Science, 401 SW Second St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-467-6637 or www.mods.org
Get up close and personal with the resident animals at the Museum of Discovery and Science and their keepers this weekend. Enjoy Otter Talks, eat edible bugs, and learn all about how to care for your pets. Enjoy special showcases of exotic animals, and even bring home a new toy for your best friend which you can design yourself at the Pet Toy Design station. Here's the itinerary:
- All About Arthropods 1:30 p.m.– Take an interesting look at these creepy crawlers and find out the difference between insects and arachnids. Discover which arthropods help to pollinate our crops and beautiful flowers. Face your fears by getting close to an Emperor Scorpion and a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach.
- Otter Talks 2 p.m. & 4 p.m. – Meet the otter keeper and discover the antics of North American river otters while learning about life in the wild and animal husbandry training.
- Meet the Animals! 3:30 p.m. – See the amazing collection of animals who reside at the Museum of Discovery and Science. Learn how animals are classified, how they’re fed and what their names are!
- Pet Toy Design – Use easy-to-find, inexpensive materials to design a toy to enrich the life of your favorite furry or feathery and fantastic pet.
- Poachers Tent – It was once considered fashionable to have glasses made of tortoise shell and rugs made of animal fur. Learn about animal friendly alternatives and visit our “confiscation station” to understand how poaching can devastate an ecosystem.
- Humane Society of Broward County – Is it time to consider adopting a friend for life? Learn what it takes to be a responsible pet owner and how to make the best decision for your personal lifestyle.
- Share-A-Pet – Learn how local animals are bringing unconditional love and companionship to the lives of individuals confined to hospitals, nursing homes and children’s centers by providing pet-assisted therapy.
- Meet the Animals Mural – Help us celebrate Meet the Animals by adding to our mural. Color and create any animal you can think of to explore the diversity of life on Earth.
- Edible Bugs – Learn all about entomophagy by biting into these creepy-crawly insects. See how many you can stomach and discover a food that is high in protein, low in fat, easy to raise and good for the environment.
- Bird Lovers Club – Meet the birds from the Birds Lovers Club and learn how to care for these amazing animals.
- Friends of Greyhounds – Friends of Greyhounds provide retired racing greyhounds with a caring environment and loving homes. See some of these beautiful animals at the Museum.
- Sierra Club – Connect with America’s oldest, grassroots environmental organization and learn about conservation efforts to protect the endangered Florida Panther.
See and Do
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Holidays 2014
- Holiday parades, princess parties & a local gift guide: Munchkin Fun's top weekly picks
- Borscht Film Festival spurs a Miami filmmaking boom
- Holiday events in Miami
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Dec. 12-14
- Outré Theatre makes its move to Fort Lauderdale with ‘Othello’
- Cirque du Soleil brings its fem-centric show, 'Amaluna,' to Sun Life Stadium
- Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade floats into Broward this Saturday
- Holiday dance, theater and music favorites to make the season merry
- ‘Book of Mormon’ walks its fine line, this time at the Arsht Center