Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)
Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) at North Miami
770 NE 125th St., North Miami
Open Tue, Thur, Fri, Sat 11am-5pm, Wed 1-9pm, Sun 12-5pm
Admission: adults $5, seniors/students with ID $3, members/North Miami residents/children under 12 free
Special days: last Friday of every month 7-10pm for jazz.
MOCA presents a mix of both local and international artists in its galleries. Local emerging artists, including Jose Bedia, Pablo Cano, Hernan Bas, William Cordova, Robert Chambers and Ruben Torres Llorca have been shown here, with highlights of past exhibits including works by Anna Gaskell, Gianni Versace, Pablo Cano and Salvador Dali.
The art starts at the entrance, where a line of palm trees crosses a round reflection pool, now an interactive wishing well. MOCA's indoor exhibits encompass 1970s film, Mexican modernism, fashion design, architecture, embroidery, animation and much more. Moveable walls in the main gallery allow curators to tailor viewing space to paintings, photography displays, large sculptures and installations of any shape and size. With as many as 10 annual exhibitions, there's always something new on display.
MOCA is also known for its popular programs, including Jazz at MOCA concert series, "MOCA by Moonlight," Arts for All and 5 Minutes of Fame.
The museum also has plans for a 20,000 sq. ft. expansion with more exhibition space, a 2,000 sq. ft. gallery for local artists and a new education wing.
See and Do
- Bayfront Park hosts tree lighting event to kick off holiday season
- Momix will perform and teach a master class at Broward Center
- 17 Fun Things to Do This Holiday Week: Nov 23-29
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 20-22
- ‘Newsies’ dances its way back to South Florida with a charming leading man
- Some Miami Book Fair events of note (in a weekend of hundreds)
- Miami Book Fair, a literary cornucopia, kicks off
- Give Miami Day, Nov. 19, is a chance to support Miami charities
- 15 things to do with the kids this week: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 13-15