Is the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) merging with the Bass Museum of Art?
Two top museums are reportedly teaming up to create a "super museum" in Miami
The Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) is merging with the Bass Museum of Art, according to Miami.com and Miami Herald reporter Lesley Abravanel. Silvia Karman Cubiñá, the executive director and chief curator of the Bass, will serve as executive director of the newly-formed musuem. Alex Gartenfeld, who stepped into the role of MOCA's interim director in August 2013 when Bonnie Clearwater left, will be the chief curator.
The musuems aren't confirming anything just yet. Media relations and press officer for MOCA Valerie Ricordi told us today that "this is a recycling of old news and speculation. There is nothing new to report on the matter."
Ricordi's comment is likely in reference to an interview conducted by the Miami New Times with Rosa de la Cruz in December 2013, in which the prominent art collector claimed MOCA would "soon be shuttered."
- Accessible Art: Spinello Projects unveils Farley Aguilar show and 'Zionismus' opens with the Consul General of Germany at MDC
- Accessible Art: Sacred mandalas at Coral Springs Museum of Art and The Art of Video Games at the Frost
- Accessible Art: Art and architecture in San Miguel de Allende and new paintings by Brandon "Wizz Dumb" Deener
- Accessible Art: Village of Biscayne Park launches sculpture competition and YogArt rocks the Miami Design District
- Accessible Art: Contemporary French artists at France Pavilion and the GMCVB presents Art of Black Miami
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center unveils Kenny Scharf print for 10@10 and a Jeff Koons sculpture arrives at Bal Harbour Shops
- Accessible Art: The Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU seeks nominees for Breaking the Glass Ceiling Awards and Yo Miami presents "Body & Soul"
- Accessible Art: Nari Ward retrospective opens at PAMM and The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood unveils five new exhibits
- Accessible Art: DCOTA in Dania Beach hosts interior design expo and ArtSpace/Virginia Miller Galleries celebrates 42nd season
- Accessible Art: The Art of Transformation kicks off in Opa-locka and Winter Park's Art on the Green spotlights seven Miami artists