Is the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) merging with the Bass Museum of Art?
Two top museums are reportedly teaming up to create a "super museum" in Miami
The Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) is merging with the Bass Museum of Art, according to Miami.com and Miami Herald reporter Lesley Abravanel. Silvia Karman Cubiñá, the executive director and chief curator of the Bass, will serve as executive director of the newly-formed musuem. Alex Gartenfeld, who stepped into the role of MOCA's interim director in August 2013 when Bonnie Clearwater left, will be the chief curator.
The musuems aren't confirming anything just yet. Media relations and press officer for MOCA Valerie Ricordi told us today that "this is a recycling of old news and speculation. There is nothing new to report on the matter."
Ricordi's comment is likely in reference to an interview conducted by the Miami New Times with Rosa de la Cruz in December 2013, in which the prominent art collector claimed MOCA would "soon be shuttered."
- Accessible Art: Fontainebleau Miami Beach unveils The Frank Sinatra Photo Gallery and photographer Cendino Temé's work is on view at the Black Archives
- Accessible Art: Collabo5 at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Bass Museum of Art offers free classes and DEMI's work is on view at Miami International Airport
- Accessible Art: Carlos Betancourt and Alberto Latorre build a sculpture for the new Animal Services Adoption Center and PAMM opens an aviary
- Accessible Art: The Miami Home Design and Remodeling Show announces ambassador artists and Art Basel launches revamped website
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14