Is the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) merging with the Bass Museum of Art?
Two top museums are reportedly teaming up to create a "super museum" in Miami
The Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) is merging with the Bass Museum of Art, according to Miami.com and Miami Herald reporter Lesley Abravanel. Silvia Karman Cubiñá, the executive director and chief curator of the Bass, will serve as executive director of the newly-formed musuem. Alex Gartenfeld, who stepped into the role of MOCA's interim director in August 2013 when Bonnie Clearwater left, will be the chief curator.
The musuems aren't confirming anything just yet. Media relations and press officer for MOCA Valerie Ricordi told us today that "this is a recycling of old news and speculation. There is nothing new to report on the matter."
Ricordi's comment is likely in reference to an interview conducted by the Miami New Times with Rosa de la Cruz in December 2013, in which the prominent art collector claimed MOCA would "soon be shuttered."
- Accessible Art: Tickets for YoungArts Week and Tea and Art History at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale
- Accessible Art: Compelling new works at Emerson Dorsch Gallery and Broward Cultural Division’s major call to artists
- For art aficionados, a new Wynwood emerges to the north
- Accessible Art: Ruth and Marvin Sackner awarded Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and Jorge Blanco exhibits at O. Ascanio Gallery in Wynwood
- Artist Daniel Arsham predicts the future at Locust Projects
- Accessible Art: Meetinghouse gallery opens downtown, Curators come together at the Bass Museum, and Seth Browarnik's photography reveals the art of rum-making
- Rediscover 'The Lost Art of Letter Writing' at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Scholl Lecture Series at PAMM welcomes NY artist Gary Simmons and an 'Urban MATERs' anti-gala fundraiser pops up in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Prominent collector Martin Z. Margulies shares photography archives at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and Sebastiao Salgado tackles preservation at Dina Mitrani Gallery in Wynwood
- Buying art is just the first step. You have to make it last.