Muse of the month: Haitian-born, Miami-based artist Edouard Duval-Carrié
Each month, visit Miami.com for a spark of stimulation from local artists.
"Edouard Duval-Carrié: Imagined Landscapes" at PAMM
Thursday, March 13 from 7 - 9 p.m.: Conversation: "Imagined Landscapes" with Edouard Duval Carrié and Tobias Ostrander
pamm.org or 305-375-3000
Inspired Art | Muse of the Month
Title: "After Church - Mystic Lagoon," 2013 by Edouard Duval-Carrié
Medium: Mixed media on aluminum
Size: 96 x 144
About this piece: Haitian-born, Miami-based artist Edouard Duval-Carrié will discuss this large-scale painting and others displayed in his solo exhibition at the Pérez Art Museum Miami involving a series of new works generated over the past year with PAMM Chief Curator Tobias Ostrander on Thursday, March 13 from 7 - 9 p.m. The event is open to the public and free with museum admission. Space is limited. First come, first served.
Duval-Carrié is known for his innovative adaptions of traditional Haitian iconography, which he engages to address contemporary social and political conditions and in order to explore the manner in which the tropics of the Caribbean and Florida continue to be sold as tropical paradises in ways that often obscure economic and social disparities that continue to be perpetuated. Contrasting his signature use of strong colors, this project presents works executed in black and silver glitter.
See it with your own eyes: The exhibition is entitled "Edouard Duval-Carrié: Imagined Landscapes" and is on view at the Pérez Art Museum Miami, 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; Thursday, March 13 – August 31, 2014.
- Accessible Art: Fontainebleau Miami Beach unveils The Frank Sinatra Photo Gallery and photographer Cendino Temé's work is on view at the Black Archives
- Accessible Art: Collabo5 at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Bass Museum of Art offers free classes and DEMI's work is on view at Miami International Airport
- Accessible Art: Carlos Betancourt and Alberto Latorre build a sculpture for the new Animal Services Adoption Center and PAMM opens an aviary
- Accessible Art: The Miami Home Design and Remodeling Show announces ambassador artists and Art Basel launches revamped website
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14