Muse of the Month: Artist Gustavo Oviedo
Each month, visit Miami.com for a spark of stimulation from local artists.
“Nothing Goes to Waste,” a solo exhibition by Gustavo Oviedo at ArtCenter/South Florida’s Project 924, 924 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach; 305-674-8278 or artcentersf.org.
Opening reception Wednesday, July 2 from 7 - 10 p.m. On view through Aug. 24, 2014.
Inspired Art | Muse of the Month
Title: "In Front of the Marine Stadium" by Gustavo Oviedo
Medium: Found object and epoxy resin
Size: 15 x 24 x 7
About this piece: Miami-based artist and “accidental environmentalist” Gustavo Oviedo creates and recreates using canvases, photography, vinyl, drawings, video and found objects. Most pieces are often in their second or even third iteration. South Florida's waterways serve as his inspiration and he uses his boat to explore them. The discarded items he finds are reclaimed or recycled as souvenirs of his experiences.
Ovideo found a toilet seat camouflaged in algae during a scuba diving session in front of the graffiti-covered Miami Marine Stadium, one of Florida's most threatened landmarks. He poured epoxy resin over the seat to seal in the algae and conserve that characteristic forever.
"It was necessary to scuba there instead of snorkel because of the poor visibility near the Marine Stadium," said Oviedo. "The place is an awesome example of human interaction with nature and many artists have worked within the stadium [doing graffit], but I liked the idea of doing a project in front of it for a change."
To convey how murky the water is in this area of Biscayne Bay, Oviedo shared this underwater video.
Just last week, Gloria Estefan donated $500,000 to the Friends of Miami Marine Stadium to help the organization meet its $30 million goal for restoration of the Virginia Key venue that closed in 1992.
See it with your own eyes: "In Front of the Marine Stadium" is part of Oviedo's solo exhibition at ArtCenter/South Florida's Project 924, 924 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. "Nothing Goes to Waste" opens Wednesday, July 2 with a special reception from 7 - 10 p.m. Free and open to the public with RSVP on Facebook. On view through Aug. 24.
- Accessible Art: The Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU seeks nominees for Breaking the Glass Ceiling Awards and Yo Miami presents "Body & Soul"
- Accessible Art: Nari Ward retrospective opens at PAMM and The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood unveils five new exhibits
- Accessible Art: DCOTA in Dania Beach hosts interior design expo and ArtSpace/Virginia Miller Galleries celebrates 42nd season
- Accessible Art: The Art of Transformation kicks off in Opa-locka and Winter Park's Art on the Green spotlights seven Miami artists
- Accessible Art: A sleepover at PAMM and Katsuya unveils Japanese-inspired mural by Jose Mertz
- NEWT Miami: Experiments in Light, Color & Sound debuts in November
- Accessible Art: A Benjamin Cañas show at New World Gallery and #Saveartspace announces open call
- Accessible Art: Advance tickets go on sale for Science Art Cinema: Fear and Philodendron opens at The Wolfsonian-FIU
- Accessible Art: Faena Art Open Call and new exhibits at Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Indestructible Lee Miller opens at NSU Art Museum and Bass Museum of Art launches bassX with Rachel Harrison