Muse of the Month: Artist Ernesto Kunde
Each month, visit Miami.com for a spark of stimulation from local artists.
Inspired Art | Muse of the Month
Title: "Habitat," 2014, by Ernesto Kunde
Medium: Acrylic on canvas
Size: 36 x 60
About this piece: Brazilian-born, Miami-based painter Ernesto Kunde transforms the 600-square-foot Swenson Gallery of the Bakehouse Art Complex into an immersive experience with this large-scale piece and dozens of others featured in his solo exhibition titled "Symbiotic Promise."
"Habitat represents a new direction I've taken with the Mangrove Series I started two years ago. The large size is a big challenge for me, but I've managed to carry the bright colors through in all of my work," said Kunde.
Kunde draws a parallel to the symbiotic relationship between people and nature with the sculptural overlaying of his paintings in the gallery. A site-specific installation with a mural and projection will also express the his heightened awareness of the urgent need to take care of the environment.
See if with your own eyes: "Habitat" and the entire "Symbiotic Promise" exhibition by Ernesto Kunde is on view from May 9 - June 8, 2014 in the Swenson Gallery at the Bakehouse Art Complex, 561 NW 32 St., Miami.
- Accessible Art: Miami's own Jillian Mayer to exhibit at La Biennale de Montréal and Cannonball announces open call for local residency program
- Gapingvoid: an art business with a purpose
- Preservationists: Bay Harbor Islands' MiMo architecture in ‘danger'
- Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
- Accessible Art: Craig Robins reveals personal art collection to PAMM Contemporaries and the Downtown Hollywood Mural Project commissions Miami artist Krave
- ArtCenter/South Florida announced plans to sell one of its Lincoln Road sites
- Muse of the Month: Artist Gustavo Oviedo
- Accessible Art: Provocative paintings by Hernan Bas at the de la Cruz Collection and "Ai Weiwei: The Fake Case" plays at O Cinema Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Jeffrey Noble unveils new paintings at Butter Gallery and the YoungArts Salon Series hosts Justin Peck and Sufjan Stevens
- Miami’s YoungArts Foundation launches a visual arts residency program with artist Suzanne McClelland