Muse of the Month: Artist Emmett Moore
Each month, visit Miami.com for a spark of stimulation from local artists.
"Low Tide Shopping" at Swampspace, 3940 N. Miami Ave., Miami.
Opening Reception: Saturday, June 14 from 7 - 11 p.m. On view through July 14.
Inspired Art | Muse of the Month
Title: "Fold," 2014, by Emmett Moore
Medium: Found sign
Size: 28 x 42 x 12
About this piece: Emmett Moore is a Miami-based sculptor and designer who's enthralled by the complexities of function and form. His most recent projects comprise site-specific installations and private commissions such as the visitor-friendly decks on the lawn of the Bass Museum of Art in Collins Park.
"Fold" (pictured) will appear in "Low Tide Shopping," a group show debuting this month at Swampspace's new location in the Design District (next to Harry's Pizzeria). The title of the exhibit refers to the act of retrieving debris from the shorelines during low tide.
"I like the idea of taking such a brittle, planar object and giving it strength using basic geometry. Similar folding structures were used by radical modern architects like Eero Saarinen and inspired other structures like the Miami Marine Stadium, where I found the sign," said Moore as he described his contribution to the exhibition. "The hand-painted element is also a beautiful reminder of the era."
See it with your own eyes: "Fold" will be on view from June 14 - July 14, 2014 at Swampspace, 3940 N. Miami Ave., Miami, alongside works by Jeffrey Noble, Gary Fonseca, Diego Guzmán, Jason Hedges, Gustavo Oviedo, Jose Felix Perez, Johnny Laderer and Mario M. Gonzalez. Most of the artists created the pieces without prior knowledge of the show. Each item was chosen by the gallery based on its correlation to one another as an expression of the environment's powerful impact on our community.
- How the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) helped bring worldwide attention to the Miami art scene
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Alexander Mijares collaborates with Capretto in South Miami and a call-to-action from the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science
- Iconic MiMo gem Vagabond on Biscayne Boulevard reopens after extensive makeover
- Accessible Art: Coral Gables Museum explores bizarre botany with local artists and PAMM unveils site-specific installation by Leonor Antunes
- Accessible Art: Educational seminars for artists, build your own digital art collection, and photography with Steven Brooke
- MOCA to close and move to new space as the 'Institute of Contemporary Art'
- Accessible Art: 'American Sabor' exhibit opens at HistoryMiami and Pérez Art Museum Miami presents Adler Guerrier
- Accessible Art: New York-based curator Thomas J. Lax unveils new show at Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and FEAST Miami pops up at Emerson Dorsch Gallery for local art projects
- Accessible Art: Miami's own Jillian Mayer to exhibit at La Biennale de Montréal and Cannonball announces open call for local residency program
- Gapingvoid: an art business with a purpose