Muse of the Month: Artist Emmett Moore
Each month, visit Miami.com for a spark of stimulation from local artists.
"Low Tide Shopping" at Swampspace, 3940 N. Miami Ave., Miami.
Opening Reception: Saturday, June 14 from 7 - 11 p.m. On view through July 14.
Inspired Art | Muse of the Month
Title: "Fold," 2014, by Emmett Moore
Medium: Found sign
Size: 28 x 42 x 12
About this piece: Emmett Moore is a Miami-based sculptor and designer who's enthralled by the complexities of function and form. His most recent projects comprise site-specific installations and private commissions such as the visitor-friendly decks on the lawn of the Bass Museum of Art in Collins Park.
"Fold" (pictured) will appear in "Low Tide Shopping," a group show debuting this month at Swampspace's new location in the Design District (next to Harry's Pizzeria). The title of the exhibit refers to the act of retrieving debris from the shorelines during low tide.
"I like the idea of taking such a brittle, planar object and giving it strength using basic geometry. Similar folding structures were used by radical modern architects like Eero Saarinen and inspired other structures like the Miami Marine Stadium, where I found the sign," said Moore as he described his contribution to the exhibition. "The hand-painted element is also a beautiful reminder of the era."
See it with your own eyes: "Fold" will be on view from June 14 - July 14, 2014 at Swampspace, 3940 N. Miami Ave., Miami, alongside works by Jeffrey Noble, Gary Fonseca, Diego Guzmán, Jason Hedges, Gustavo Oviedo, Jose Felix Perez, Johnny Laderer and Mario M. Gonzalez. Most of the artists created the pieces without prior knowledge of the show. Each item was chosen by the gallery based on its correlation to one another as an expression of the environment's powerful impact on our community.
- Accessible Art: Collabo5 at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Bass Museum of Art offers free classes and DEMI's work is on view at Miami International Airport
- Accessible Art: Carlos Betancourt and Alberto Latorre build a sculpture for the new Animal Services Adoption Center and PAMM opens an aviary
- Accessible Art: The Miami Home Design and Remodeling Show announces ambassador artists and Art Basel launches revamped website
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14
- Accessible Art: Pembroke Pines presents 'Caribbean Life' and local artist Pepe Calderin at The Cornell Museum of Art and American Culture