Muse of the Month: Artist Emmett Moore
Each month, visit Miami.com for a spark of stimulation from local artists.
"Low Tide Shopping" at Swampspace, 3940 N. Miami Ave., Miami.
Opening Reception: Saturday, June 14 from 7 - 11 p.m. On view through July 14.
Inspired Art | Muse of the Month
Title: "Fold," 2014, by Emmett Moore
Medium: Found sign
Size: 28 x 42 x 12
About this piece: Emmett Moore is a Miami-based sculptor and designer who's enthralled by the complexities of function and form. His most recent projects comprise site-specific installations and private commissions such as the visitor-friendly decks on the lawn of the Bass Museum of Art in Collins Park.
"Fold" (pictured) will appear in "Low Tide Shopping," a group show debuting this month at Swampspace's new location in the Design District (next to Harry's Pizzeria). The title of the exhibit refers to the act of retrieving debris from the shorelines during low tide.
"I like the idea of taking such a brittle, planar object and giving it strength using basic geometry. Similar folding structures were used by radical modern architects like Eero Saarinen and inspired other structures like the Miami Marine Stadium, where I found the sign," said Moore as he described his contribution to the exhibition. "The hand-painted element is also a beautiful reminder of the era."
See it with your own eyes: "Fold" will be on view from June 14 - July 14, 2014 at Swampspace, 3940 N. Miami Ave., Miami, alongside works by Jeffrey Noble, Gary Fonseca, Diego Guzmán, Jason Hedges, Gustavo Oviedo, Jose Felix Perez, Johnny Laderer and Mario M. Gonzalez. Most of the artists created the pieces without prior knowledge of the show. Each item was chosen by the gallery based on its correlation to one another as an expression of the environment's powerful impact on our community.
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Santiago Rubino's solo show at Spinello Projects and Support-A-Scholar Celebration at Wynwood Walls this Saturday
- DWNTWN Art Days promotes arts and culture in Miami this weekend
- Accessible Art: The Bakehouse Art Complex honors local cultural leaders and Product/81 Gallery presents a solo show by street artist Jaz
- Reflections on Hurricane Andrew at 'The Big One: Photographs by Barry Fellman'
- Muse of the Month: Artist Carlos Martiel
- Accessible Art: Autumn Casey's solo show opens at Primary Projects and Cisneros Fontanals Art Foundation (CIFO) ushers in international artists
- How the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) helped bring worldwide attention to the Miami art scene
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Alexander Mijares collaborates with Capretto in South Miami and a call-to-action from the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science
- Iconic MiMo gem Vagabond on Biscayne Boulevard reopens after extensive makeover
- Accessible Art: Coral Gables Museum explores bizarre botany with local artists and PAMM unveils site-specific installation by Leonor Antunes