Muse of the Month: Artist Emmett Moore
Each month, visit Miami.com for a spark of stimulation from local artists.
"Low Tide Shopping" at Swampspace, 3940 N. Miami Ave., Miami.
Opening Reception: Saturday, June 14 from 7 - 11 p.m. On view through July 14.
Inspired Art | Muse of the Month
Title: "Fold," 2014, by Emmett Moore
Medium: Found sign
Size: 28 x 42 x 12
About this piece: Emmett Moore is a Miami-based sculptor and designer who's enthralled by the complexities of function and form. His most recent projects comprise site-specific installations and private commissions such as the visitor-friendly decks on the lawn of the Bass Museum of Art in Collins Park.
"Fold" (pictured) will appear in "Low Tide Shopping," a group show debuting this month at Swampspace's new location in the Design District (next to Harry's Pizzeria). The title of the exhibit refers to the act of retrieving debris from the shorelines during low tide.
"I like the idea of taking such a brittle, planar object and giving it strength using basic geometry. Similar folding structures were used by radical modern architects like Eero Saarinen and inspired other structures like the Miami Marine Stadium, where I found the sign," said Moore as he described his contribution to the exhibition. "The hand-painted element is also a beautiful reminder of the era."
See it with your own eyes: "Fold" will be on view from June 14 - July 14, 2014 at Swampspace, 3940 N. Miami Ave., Miami, alongside works by Jeffrey Noble, Gary Fonseca, Diego Guzmán, Jason Hedges, Gustavo Oviedo, Jose Felix Perez, Johnny Laderer and Mario M. Gonzalez. Most of the artists created the pieces without prior knowledge of the show. Each item was chosen by the gallery based on its correlation to one another as an expression of the environment's powerful impact on our community.
- A Curated Guide to Miami Art Week and Art Basel Miami Beach
- Accessible Art: Ruth and Marvin Sackner awarded Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and Jorge Blanco exhibits at O. Ascanio Gallery in Wynwood
- Artist Daniel Arsham predicts the future at Locust Projects
- Accessible Art: Meetinghouse gallery opens downtown, Curators come together at the Bass Museum, and Seth Browarnik's photography reveals the art of rum-making
- Rediscover 'The Lost Art of Letter Writing' at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Scholl Lecture Series at PAMM welcomes NY artist Gary Simmons and an 'Urban MATERs' anti-gala fundraiser pops up in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Prominent collector Martin Z. Margulies shares photography archives at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and Sebastiao Salgado tackles preservation at Dina Mitrani Gallery in Wynwood
- Buying art is just the first step. You have to make it last.
- Adrian Grenier and partner bring sustainable design to Miami
- Accessible Art: Celebrate Dias de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) at the Bakehouse Art Complex and get the 'bassartpass' for Miami Art Week