Muse of the month: Artist Agustina Woodgate
Each month, visit Miami.com for a spark of stimulation from local artists.
"Rug Collection" by Agustina Woodgate at Art and Culture Center of Hollywood
Gallery hours: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday – Friday; noon – 4 p.m. Saturday – Sunday; closed Monday
artandculturecenter.org or 954-921-3274
Inspired Art | Muse of the Month
Title: "Seven Seas," 2013, by Agustina Woodgate
Medium: Stuffed animal skins
Size: 15 x 10
About this piece: Miami-based artist Agustina Woodgate presents "Seven Seas" as part of a solo exhibition featuring hand-sewn rugs made from the pelts of stuffed animals. (Think forlorn teddy bears.) Woodgate collects the toys, which belonged to a loving owner at one time, from thrift stores and donations.
"The rugs not only reference the personal history of the owners, but investigate the rug as an object organizing and displaying personal memories and lineages," she says.
What's particularly fascinating is that Woodgate doesn't cut the pelts to fit them together. Instead, she treats each "skin" as a piece of an oversized hanging puzzle. Her leftovers from the toys are simply pieces of thread.
Woodgate is drawn to the specific meanings associated with the arrangements of rug designs because in Eastern cultures the rug is known to operate beyond utility depicting the spiritual and mental world in a tangible form.
See it with your own eyes: "Seven Seas" and the entire "Rug Collection" are on view for the first time as a complete exhibition at the Art and Culture Center of Hollywood, 1650 Harrison St., Hollywood; through May 25, 2014.
- Accessible Art: Collabo5 at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Bass Museum of Art offers free classes and DEMI's work is on view at Miami International Airport
- Accessible Art: Carlos Betancourt and Alberto Latorre build a sculpture for the new Animal Services Adoption Center and PAMM opens an aviary
- Accessible Art: The Miami Home Design and Remodeling Show announces ambassador artists and Art Basel launches revamped website
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14
- Accessible Art: Pembroke Pines presents 'Caribbean Life' and local artist Pepe Calderin at The Cornell Museum of Art and American Culture