Munchkin Fun launches in Miami creating a one-stop shop for kiddie classes
Miami mom launches Munchkin Fun, a website for parents to find fun classes and activities for their children with only a few clicks.
Munchkin Fun is a one-stop website where parents in South Florida can directly sign up their children for hundreds of classes, camps and activities. Various activities are pre-screened and approved to make it simpler for parents to find the ideal activity for their child.
Munchkin Fun has more than 70 partners, from Gymboree to Miami Dance & Gymnastics Academy. Business interested in joining the website can apply via phone or email and will be personally visited to receive a “mom” test.
As a mother of three girls under six, founder Valerie Schimel understood the struggle to find quality activities for children. She launched Munchkin Fun in 2008 as a simple calendar which was eventually revamped into a full website in 2013 with a focus on class registration.
“We try hard to give parents the info and functionality they need and deserve as easily as possible,” says Schimel.
Munchkin Fun uses technology in a simple way for parents. Classes are first categorized by type of activity, such as acting or martial arts. Activities listed can even be categorized by neighborhood.
“I wasn't picking a class at random based on a Google search,” said Denise Malvehy, a mother who uses Munchkin Fun about once a month. “I was able to choose from classes that I knew had been vetted by other moms like me.”
Schimel now employs two other full-timers: VP of Operations Aleesa Adams and VP of Development Molly Blanco.
Munchkin Fun is expanding to Boca and Broward in late 2013 or early 2014, then plans to grow nationally.
See and Do
- Marshmallows, free yoga, American Girl crafts & freebie fun: Munchkin Fun's top picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Jan. 23-25
- Fairchild's International Chocolate Festival returns
- ‘Late Night’ host Seth Meyers goes back to stand up roots in Miami
- Chocolate festivals, family gardening, American Girl & Home Depot: Top picks Jan 20-25
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 16-18
- Festival of Chocolate arrives in Miami this weekend
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Jan. 16-18
- Shakespeare Miami takes on ‘The Tempest’
- Tamiami International Orchid Festival unites lovers of exotic plants