Arepas hit the road with Mr. GoodStuff's
What do you get when you cross a Venezuelan with a Southerner? A 1-year-old food truck you’ll want to follow.
Mr. GoodStuff combines the best of both worlds in its lunas, white cornmeal arepas slit down the middle and filled like pita pockets with slow-cooked brisket, Carolina-style pulled pork, chicken salad and other lip-smacking fixings.
The mustard-yellow truck, designed and painted by Miami artist David “LEBO” Le Batard, is easy to spot with the large, gleeful face of a cartoon boy on the side. Follow the “Happiness Here” sign to the window and place your order.
These aren’t the cheesy yellow arepas you’ve had at parades, baseball games and fairs; they’re sturdy, nutty launch pads for amazing flavors. Our favorite was the Sweet Caroline with pulled pork, Cheddar and coleslaw. You don’t need them with this gooey luna, but there are several sauces including a creamy cilantro and a spicy Tiger Blood.
In addition to Southern fillings, there’s mojo-infused Mi Cubanita pulled pork with pickled red onions and, on the lighter side, coconut curry chicken with pineapple chunks. There are also tostones or lettuce leaves stuffed with your choice of filling, a hotdog stuffed with sautéed onions, Cajun sweet potato fries served with maple syrup and deep-fried cheese bites served with a spicy guava dipping sauce.
The names of the dishes — Son of a Brisket, Mother Stuffer — are as creative as the fillings. Don’t ask us how that all fits in one truck, but since Mr. GoodStuff likes to get around — from Hollywood to Wynwood, Miramar to Miami Lakes — there’s a good chance you’ll be able to find out for yourself.
Hours: On the road for lunch and dinner in both Broward and Miami-Dade counties
Price range: Lunas $8, sides $5-$7
FYI: Cash only
- Aventura Mall's Bloomingdale’s cafe offers a break from shopping craze
- Makis Place adds more sushi to the Grove
- Bite into grab-and-go gourmet at Fort Lauderdale's Rumi
- Pao Town brings Asian street food to Coral Gables
- Stay in with homey Colombian fare from Davie's La Placita
- Stay in with grilled cheese from Mr. Cheezious
- Stay in with healthy fast food at Fort Lauderdale's Energy Kitchen
- BBQ, margaritas and music await at Brother Jimmy's in South Miami
- Agave Mexican serves Mexican fusion in Deerfield Beach
- Hallandale’s HomeTown Buffet is a buffet bonanza