Movie gets distribution date
Film about the marijuana trade
Square Grouper: The Godfathers of Ganja, a documentary study of the marijuana trade in 1970s Florida by Miami filmmakers Billy Corben and Alfred Spellman, will be distributed theatrically in 40 cities across the U.S. after its world premiere at the SXSW Film Festival in March.
Magnolia Films, which previously distributed the duo’s cult favorite Cocaine Cowboys, will also handle international distribution rights. Square Grouper is one of five films that Rakontur, Corben and Spellman’s production company, is releasing this year. Also in the pipeline: Limelight, about NYC nightclub impresario Peter Gatien; Dawg Fight, about the phenomenon of backyard fight clubs; Cocaine Cowboys: Remixed, a new version of the documentary about the South Florida cocaine wars of the 1980s; and a still-unnamed documentary for ESPN exploring salaries in pro sports.
On Our Radar
- Arms closed shut? Scott Stapp's wife files for divorce
- Gloria Estefan to lead Q&A
- CSI Miami star Omar Miller talks Weekend Fix
- Dwyane Wade getting ready for A Night on the Runwade
- Mr. Olympia Phil Heath gives diet and exercise tips before the holidays
- Pharrell can't sell his Miami condo
- Supermodel Elle Macpherson at opening of Stripsteak
- Eric Trump marries in Palm Beach
- Miami actor Carlos Ponce stays busy
- Jersey Belle star Jaime Sullivan in Miami