Movie gets distribution date
Film about the marijuana trade
Square Grouper: The Godfathers of Ganja, a documentary study of the marijuana trade in 1970s Florida by Miami filmmakers Billy Corben and Alfred Spellman, will be distributed theatrically in 40 cities across the U.S. after its world premiere at the SXSW Film Festival in March.
Magnolia Films, which previously distributed the duo’s cult favorite Cocaine Cowboys, will also handle international distribution rights. Square Grouper is one of five films that Rakontur, Corben and Spellman’s production company, is releasing this year. Also in the pipeline: Limelight, about NYC nightclub impresario Peter Gatien; Dawg Fight, about the phenomenon of backyard fight clubs; Cocaine Cowboys: Remixed, a new version of the documentary about the South Florida cocaine wars of the 1980s; and a still-unnamed documentary for ESPN exploring salaries in pro sports.
On Our Radar
- Michael B Jordan in Miami talking 'Creed'
- Actor named honorary president of Miami Fashion Week
- Are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie coming to Art Basel?
- Celebrity doctor's Grove home sells
- Miami teen hits the big time
- Inside details of Sofia Vergara's wedding
- DWTS cast members will present SWAY: A Dance Trilogy at Olympia Theater
- Trey Songz and friends spend the day giving back.
- Recap: Miami.com Experience - Pop-Up Dinner at Bocce with Sugarcane
- Tiger Woods' ex holds dinner in Palm Beach