Movie gets distribution date
Film about the marijuana trade
Square Grouper: The Godfathers of Ganja, a documentary study of the marijuana trade in 1970s Florida by Miami filmmakers Billy Corben and Alfred Spellman, will be distributed theatrically in 40 cities across the U.S. after its world premiere at the SXSW Film Festival in March.
Magnolia Films, which previously distributed the duo’s cult favorite Cocaine Cowboys, will also handle international distribution rights. Square Grouper is one of five films that Rakontur, Corben and Spellman’s production company, is releasing this year. Also in the pipeline: Limelight, about NYC nightclub impresario Peter Gatien; Dawg Fight, about the phenomenon of backyard fight clubs; Cocaine Cowboys: Remixed, a new version of the documentary about the South Florida cocaine wars of the 1980s; and a still-unnamed documentary for ESPN exploring salaries in pro sports.
On Our Radar
- A 'Real Housewives of Miami' spinoff with Joanna Krupa?
- Mariah Carey set to make wishes come true in Miami
- #Rich Kids of Beverly Hills star in Miami
- Ivanka Trump: Welcome to my spa
- Jencarlos Canela discusses his music at Latin Billboards
- Beyonce and Jay Z look and act like a couple in Miami
- 10 ways to prepare for the Beyonce concert
- Beyonce bringing post Lemonade drama to Miami
- Lil Kim looks a lot different in Miami
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West take Miami for wedding