Movie gets distribution date
Film about the marijuana trade
Square Grouper: The Godfathers of Ganja, a documentary study of the marijuana trade in 1970s Florida by Miami filmmakers Billy Corben and Alfred Spellman, will be distributed theatrically in 40 cities across the U.S. after its world premiere at the SXSW Film Festival in March.
Magnolia Films, which previously distributed the duo’s cult favorite Cocaine Cowboys, will also handle international distribution rights. Square Grouper is one of five films that Rakontur, Corben and Spellman’s production company, is releasing this year. Also in the pipeline: Limelight, about NYC nightclub impresario Peter Gatien; Dawg Fight, about the phenomenon of backyard fight clubs; Cocaine Cowboys: Remixed, a new version of the documentary about the South Florida cocaine wars of the 1980s; and a still-unnamed documentary for ESPN exploring salaries in pro sports.
On Our Radar
- Madonna concert dates in Miami changed
- Christina Milian models in Miami Beach
- What's up with Ryan Tannehill's mega contract?
- Instacart: An easier way to get groceries?
- Tony Romo eats his way through Miami
- Phil Collins in town
- Adrian Grenier guest of honor at magazine party
- Kings of Chaos at Hard Rock Live
- Joe Pepitone biopic penned by local screenwriters
- Talking to Beyonce's fitness guru Marco Borges