Movie gets distribution date
Film about the marijuana trade
Square Grouper: The Godfathers of Ganja, a documentary study of the marijuana trade in 1970s Florida by Miami filmmakers Billy Corben and Alfred Spellman, will be distributed theatrically in 40 cities across the U.S. after its world premiere at the SXSW Film Festival in March.
Magnolia Films, which previously distributed the duo’s cult favorite Cocaine Cowboys, will also handle international distribution rights. Square Grouper is one of five films that Rakontur, Corben and Spellman’s production company, is releasing this year. Also in the pipeline: Limelight, about NYC nightclub impresario Peter Gatien; Dawg Fight, about the phenomenon of backyard fight clubs; Cocaine Cowboys: Remixed, a new version of the documentary about the South Florida cocaine wars of the 1980s; and a still-unnamed documentary for ESPN exploring salaries in pro sports.
On Our Radar
- Attend a Miami Vice discussion
- The Music of Miami Vice
- Miami Vice Quiz
- Which Miami Vice Detective Are You?
- Miami Vice Revisited - An Interactive Map
- Two local sisters compete on Amazing Race
- Talking to Bernice, 'South Beach Tow' fan favorite
- Celebrity spotting: NFL player and beauty queen
- Chris Bosh gets second mortgage on his house
- Breakout Boca singer Ariana Grande heading to AAA