Spread out a blanket and enjoy your favorite movies al fresco.
If you’re of a certain age, you must remember this: watching movies outdoors. Back then, it was at the drive-in, replete with steamy windows, tinny sound piped into your car, and hot dog concession stands a hop and skip away.
Today, the spirit of outdoor movies still thrive, but the format has changed. Welcome to the drive-in without the drive.
Many cities have scheduled screenings of outdoor movies. Most are free (except where listed.) Here are some that are on the way:
• Biscayne Park screens “RV” at 6:30 p.m. Friday. Seating at 6 p.m. Ed Burke Recreation Center, 11400 NE Ninth Ct., Biscayne Park. Call 305-893-3711.
• Starlight Movies at The Barnacle screens “To Catch a Thief” at 7 p.m. Sunday. Gates open at 6 p.m. The Barnacle, 3485 Main Hwy., Coconut Grove. Free to Barnacle Society members only but the public can join the society at the gate for $20 individual or $40 family rate. Call 305-442-6866.
• Doral Movie Nights screens “How to Train Your Dragon” at 7:15 p.m. March 25. Morgan Levy Park, 5300 NW 102nd Ave., Doral. Call 305-406-6731.
• SoundScape Cinema Series @ ExoStage opens its 8 p.m. movie nights with “Avatar” on March 16. Also, “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” March 23; “Grease,” March 30; “Inception,” April 6; “Moulin Rouge,” April 13; “Big,” April 20; “Fantasia,” April 27; “North by Northwest,” May 4; “Wall-E,” May 11; “2001: A Space Odyssey,” May 18; “The Sound of Music,” May 25; “Casablanca,” June 1; “The Wizard of Oz,” June 8; “Dirty Dancing,” June 15. 500 17th St., Miami Beach. Call 305-673-7577.
• Garden Cinema Fridays screens “Megamind” at 7 p.m. March 11. Pinecrest Gardens, 11000 Red Rd., Pinecrest; $5 and free for children 2 and younger; also, “Easy A” at 7:30 p.m. March 25 and includes free pizza and music; $7. Call 305-669-6990.
• Screen on the Green series screens “Despicable Me” at 8 p.m. Friday and “The Other Guys” at 10:30 p.m. Friday. Foote Green at the University of Miami, 1306 Stanford Dr., Coral Gables. Call 305-284-6399.
• South Pointe Park, screening TBA, 8 p.m. April 15, 1 Washington Ave., Miami Beach.
• North Bay Village Movie Night, screening TBA, 6 p.m. March 12, Treasure Island Elemenatary, 7540 E. Treasure Dr., North Bay Village. Call 305-756-7171.
• Spring Movie Night in the Park screens “Tangled” at 7:30 p.m. April 8. Cutler Ridge Park/Elementary School Field, 20210 Coral Sea Rd., Cutler Bay. Call 305-234-4262.
See and Do
- Pumpkin patches, parties and trick-or-treating: Munchkin Fun's 2014 Halloween Guide
- MIFFecito: A Shot of Cinema
- Grovetoberfest brings craft beer to Miami's masses
- Two generations of Latin music-makers gather in Miami for Red Bull Siempre Fresco
- Trick or treating, holiday crafts & The Lego Movie: Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Casino Night event in Coral Gables benefits at-risk children
- Coral Gables Art Cinema hosts Miami International Children’s Film Festival
- 'Frida: Unmasked' explores the life of famed artist Frida Kahlo
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Oct. 10-12
- Miami Broward One Carnival heads south to a new venue in Miami