Moksha Art Fair highlights cultural connections
Moksha Art Fair returns to during Art Basel with the theme “The Eagle Meets The Condor”
Moksha Family Arts Collective will present the 2012 Moksha Art Fair from Dec. 5-8 at 7th Circuit Studios (228 NE 59th Street) during the Art Basel Festivities. This year’s theme, “The Eagle Meets The Condor”, works to highlight the cultural and creative connections between modern and traditional South, Central and North American shamanism.
On Wednesday, Dec. 5th at 7 p.m., the Moksha Family will host a gallery opening to showcase a collection of traditional and contemporary visionary artists from around the world including Chief Leonard Crowdog Jr, Mariano and Cilau Valadez, Mark Henson, Amanda Sage, Chris Dyer, Michael Divine, Layla Love, Emma Watkinson, Alex Sastoque and a selection of other international artists. In addition, the Moksha Gallery will feature works by local talents including Donna Torres, Reinier Gamboa, Eva Ruiz, Rick Dieguez, Olivia Curry, Robert Aura Freitag, Alvaro Santamaria, Luis Valle, Nagga Reishi, Babba Trips, Ryan Cacolici, Robert Thomas, Jr. and more.
The next night, the Moksha Art Fair will feature a lecture from retired FIU ethnobotany professor Manolo Torres, a panel presentation by Leonard Crowdog Jr., Huichol yarn-painters Cilau and Mariano Valadez, painter Alex Sastoque and others as well as a presentation by Daniel Pinchbeck, author of “Breaking Open The Mind: A Psychedelic Journey Into The Heart of Contemporary Shamanism.”
The event culminates in the Closing Celebration on Saturday, Dec. 8. This event will feature live painting from all of our visiting and local visual artists, as well as 25 musical guests including Toubab Krewe, Andreilien (Heyoka), Govinda, 7th World ft. Robert Thomas Jr. (Weather Report) with Alex and Julius Pastorius and Leroy Romans, Sounduo, Subsqwad, Satchi Om, Elastic Bond, Panther God, Beatmachines, S.P.O.R.E., Dusthead, Okulus Anomali, Franky Helix, IndoVisual, Warp9, Y Diz, Erick Paredes, The Moksha Roots All Stars, Afro Monk, SevenD, Rhythm Flow, Eric Dez, Milky, Barrio Abajo, Venezoniks, Jamin Murphy, Tamboka Jams and more!
Tickets to the Thursday night lecture series are $10. Early bird tickets to the Closing Celebration on Saturday, Dec. 8 are only $25 until Nov. 17, when they go up to $40ADV/$50 DOS (this event is 18+). The Wednesday night gallery opening will be free, and the gallery will remain free to visitors all week from 12-7 p.m.
For information and to purchase advance tickets go to: www.mokshaartfair2012.com.
- Art work donated to FIU by Jorge Pérez may be forgery
- Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
- Cindy Crawford pays visit to Art Miami for debut of work in her likeness
- FAILE Brings Their Interactive Deluxx Fluxx Arcade Installation to South Beach
- De Nolet festival brings together performance art, music and Ketel One cocktails
- Wynwood-based Spinello Projects unveils exhibit in Art Basel's competitive Nova sector
- Miami muralist Krave leads team of artists to spotlight Wynwood Central during Art Basel
- KIND hosts community mural project
- Art Basel opens this week in an increasingly cultured city
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center exhibit fuses fashion and art, a call for artists at Segafredo, and the Wolfsonian-FIU presents Rebirth of Rome