Mixology 101, retro fabulous freestyle and another pool party in Miami this week
Perfect (or develop) your mixology skills, jam out to retro fabulous freestyle, shake it to African beats or splash out at another hot pool party in Miami.
Because these days, mixologists are the new DJs, The Hoxton, 1111 SW 1st Ave., has launched classes in which you'll learn how to make three varieties of Mojito, Pisco Sour and Old fashioned. The two-hour classes, starting August 8, are $45 per person, $80 per couple or $35 per person per group of four and include snacks. To sign up, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In celebration of its 10th anniversary season, local non-profit organization Community Arts and Culture is throwing the Afro Roots World Festival, 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday, August 3 at the 7th Circuit Studios, 228 NE 59th St. Not just any music fest, this one is bringing in performers from various African countries including Ghana, Senegal, the Ivory Coast, Mali, Guinea and the Republic of Congo. The festival will also feature local artists representing the African culture in their own - Brazil, Cuba, Colombia, Haiti and more. Among the highlights are the Afro Polyphonic World Orchestra and Itawe, lead singer of Locos Por Juana, will perform songs from his new reggae solo project. Ticket prices range from $15 to 20. For line up information, go to www.afrorootsworldmusicfest.com.
Footloose & Fancy Freestyle
You gotta hand it to the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave. While they may take your future unborn child's college fund, they sure do provide priceless, retro fabulous memories in the form of concerts such as the one at 8 p.m. on August 3 at the Casino's Stage 305 featuring South Florida's freestyle legends Stevie B. and Debbie Deb. Look out weekends, cause here you come. Why? Because it's free. As in free style. For more information, go to www.magiccitycasino.com. Show is 21 and over, which makes sense, because those under 21 probably either have no idea what this music is or consider it part of the oldies station repertoire. Sigh.
Pooling Their Resources
Because you can never have too many pool parties during a Miami summer, enter Clash, a collaboration of coolness launching at noon Sunday, August 3 at the SLS Hotel and Hyde Beach, 1701 Collins Ave. Serving up the soundtrack is a super sonic lineup including Miguel Migs, Lisa Shaw, Brad Strickland, DJ Arlette, Carlin, F3R, DJ Cassinnelli, and Jason Vernau. Miguel Paredes will contribute contemporary art installations. The clashing continues until 8 p.m. For table reservations or more information, call 305-455-2990.
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more