Mixology 101, retro fabulous freestyle and another pool party in Miami this week
Perfect (or develop) your mixology skills, jam out to retro fabulous freestyle, shake it to African beats or splash out at another hot pool party in Miami.
Because these days, mixologists are the new DJs, The Hoxton, 1111 SW 1st Ave., has launched classes in which you'll learn how to make three varieties of Mojito, Pisco Sour and Old fashioned. The two-hour classes, starting August 8, are $45 per person, $80 per couple or $35 per person per group of four and include snacks. To sign up, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In celebration of its 10th anniversary season, local non-profit organization Community Arts and Culture is throwing the Afro Roots World Festival, 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday, August 3 at the 7th Circuit Studios, 228 NE 59th St. Not just any music fest, this one is bringing in performers from various African countries including Ghana, Senegal, the Ivory Coast, Mali, Guinea and the Republic of Congo. The festival will also feature local artists representing the African culture in their own - Brazil, Cuba, Colombia, Haiti and more. Among the highlights are the Afro Polyphonic World Orchestra and Itawe, lead singer of Locos Por Juana, will perform songs from his new reggae solo project. Ticket prices range from $15 to 20. For line up information, go to www.afrorootsworldmusicfest.com.
Footloose & Fancy Freestyle
You gotta hand it to the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave. While they may take your future unborn child's college fund, they sure do provide priceless, retro fabulous memories in the form of concerts such as the one at 8 p.m. on August 3 at the Casino's Stage 305 featuring South Florida's freestyle legends Stevie B. and Debbie Deb. Look out weekends, cause here you come. Why? Because it's free. As in free style. For more information, go to www.magiccitycasino.com. Show is 21 and over, which makes sense, because those under 21 probably either have no idea what this music is or consider it part of the oldies station repertoire. Sigh.
Pooling Their Resources
Because you can never have too many pool parties during a Miami summer, enter Clash, a collaboration of coolness launching at noon Sunday, August 3 at the SLS Hotel and Hyde Beach, 1701 Collins Ave. Serving up the soundtrack is a super sonic lineup including Miguel Migs, Lisa Shaw, Brad Strickland, DJ Arlette, Carlin, F3R, DJ Cassinnelli, and Jason Vernau. Miguel Paredes will contribute contemporary art installations. The clashing continues until 8 p.m. For table reservations or more information, call 305-455-2990.
- Rum Running on South Beach, Galaxy Gala, and Philanthropic Eating, lots of it
- Miss Coco Peru at Cabaret, Spring Fling at 1111, db Bistro happenings, early bird boozing at Katsuya
- Reflections from Miami Beach Nightlife Pioneers
- Winter Music madness, movies, and a selfless schlep for shoes!
- Cocktail cure-alls, Spam Allstars @ 20, boozy benefits & shopportunities, cocktail classes & fashion shows
- Hearts & Stars, 'glades with PAMM, Baboons & Spam on The Stage & Broadway Cares at Sagamore
- Santana at Trump, Purim, a Wall Brawl in Wynwood and the Shelley Novak Awards!
- FDR & Electric Pickle Anniversary Bashes, Battioke, Rolling Loud & Fools' Paradise at Churchill's
- French house, condo cinema, food, drink and fests!
- For the love of art, music and booze: Valentine's Weekend in Miami