Mixology 101, retro fabulous freestyle and another pool party in Miami this week
Perfect (or develop) your mixology skills, jam out to retro fabulous freestyle, shake it to African beats or splash out at another hot pool party in Miami.
Because these days, mixologists are the new DJs, The Hoxton, 1111 SW 1st Ave., has launched classes in which you'll learn how to make three varieties of Mojito, Pisco Sour and Old fashioned. The two-hour classes, starting August 8, are $45 per person, $80 per couple or $35 per person per group of four and include snacks. To sign up, RSVP to email@example.com.
In celebration of its 10th anniversary season, local non-profit organization Community Arts and Culture is throwing the Afro Roots World Festival, 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday, August 3 at the 7th Circuit Studios, 228 NE 59th St. Not just any music fest, this one is bringing in performers from various African countries including Ghana, Senegal, the Ivory Coast, Mali, Guinea and the Republic of Congo. The festival will also feature local artists representing the African culture in their own - Brazil, Cuba, Colombia, Haiti and more. Among the highlights are the Afro Polyphonic World Orchestra and Itawe, lead singer of Locos Por Juana, will perform songs from his new reggae solo project. Ticket prices range from $15 to 20. For line up information, go to www.afrorootsworldmusicfest.com.
Footloose & Fancy Freestyle
You gotta hand it to the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave. While they may take your future unborn child's college fund, they sure do provide priceless, retro fabulous memories in the form of concerts such as the one at 8 p.m. on August 3 at the Casino's Stage 305 featuring South Florida's freestyle legends Stevie B. and Debbie Deb. Look out weekends, cause here you come. Why? Because it's free. As in free style. For more information, go to www.magiccitycasino.com. Show is 21 and over, which makes sense, because those under 21 probably either have no idea what this music is or consider it part of the oldies station repertoire. Sigh.
Pooling Their Resources
Because you can never have too many pool parties during a Miami summer, enter Clash, a collaboration of coolness launching at noon Sunday, August 3 at the SLS Hotel and Hyde Beach, 1701 Collins Ave. Serving up the soundtrack is a super sonic lineup including Miguel Migs, Lisa Shaw, Brad Strickland, DJ Arlette, Carlin, F3R, DJ Cassinnelli, and Jason Vernau. Miguel Paredes will contribute contemporary art installations. The clashing continues until 8 p.m. For table reservations or more information, call 305-455-2990.
- Boozy brunches, dinner parties, rappers and night swimming
- Naked or neon with Nick at the Thompson; Boy George spins WALL; Nat'l Rum Day & David Foster Wallace
- Hialeah homecomings, Shots in Wynwood, Women at Wolfsonian & Goobers at Gramps
- Havana nights @ Regent, Disco Inferno 2.0 @Cameo, an art auction in Wynwood & full moon celebrations
- Rok Brgr Block Party, Beverly Hills Cafe 2.0, Pisco Hour, Dive-In Movies
- Karaoke @ the Delano, Big Easy at Tongue & Cheek, Sweat Records a go go, SPF at Nikki Beach & Pink Floyd in Wynwood
- Sunset Swim, Bacchanal at Bagatelle, see J Alvarez for free, beer & clay at the Wolfsonian & free Wapo Tacos!
- Freedom's just another word for an excuse to booze, plus a dinner and drag show!
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches
- National Martini Day, Nag Champayons at Bardot, Sappho does SoBe plus Sugar Factory & Libertine open