Mix some music with your charity this weekend
Hard Rock Café Miami hosts festival, Pridelines celebrates 30 years at Villa by Barton G
Funk 'n' Film
Afro-Cuban funksters PALO! are part of a very cool event dedicated to the local film and TV community on from 8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. Friday, Aug. 17 at PAX (337 SW 8th St., Miami). PALO! Film, Food & Funk is a networking event featuring local filmmakers and assorted industry professionals who will partake in a free open bar from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and food for purchase from the CubanCube food truck. Admission is free until 10 p.m. and $10 after. But get there early. A screening of short films by local indie directors followed by a Q&A segment will start at 8:30 p.m. PALO! performs at 11 p.m.
Hard Rock On
For those who need constant stimulation, consider the 1st Annual Miami Hard Rock Cafe Music & Art Festival from 2 p.m. until 2 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 18 at Bayside (401 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami). Featuring 12 hours of all genres of music, with two outdoor stages and three indoor stages, the 'fest will also play host to comedians, short films, art vendors and even a guitar competition. Cover is just $5. For more information, go to www.queenofthescene.com.
Listen to the Music
It's not a new place, but Jada Coles, the watering hole in between Brickell and Coral Gables at 2224 Coral Way, has a new person in charge of its live entertainment - Isabel Kiki Aguero, founder and ex-owner of the now defunct and much missed Transit Lounge. A champion of local music and entertainment, Aguero is in tune with the local music scene and has recruited Latin funk fusionistas Electric Piquete and singer/songwriter Joel Nuñez among others to perform at the venue at 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug.18. “Bringing Electric Piquete back to Jada Coles represents our commitment to continuing to provide our customers the best in local entertainment,” says Aguero. “With the support of our regulars, plus the patronage of people who maybe have never visited our club, we can only hope to further improve upon our offerings.” Jada Coles, named after the owner's niece and nephew, offers happy hour specials, a food menu and no cover.
Pridelines' Big 3-0
Pridelines Youth Services, the grassroots organization supporting, educating and empowering South Florida's LGBTQ youth, isn't so young anymore, but wears its age well, celebrating its 30th year of service with a swanky Pearl Anniversary bash from 7 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18 at the Villa by Barton G (1116 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach). The bash will feature cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and entertainment. Dress code is "tropical extravaganza with your finest pearls." But of course. Congratulations! General admission tickets are $100 and available at http://ezregister.com/events/4727/.
- Rok Brgr Block Party, Beverly Hills Cafe 2.0, Pisco Hour, Dive-In Movies
- Karaoke @ the Delano, Big Easy at Tongue & Cheek, Sweat Records a go go, SPF at Nikki Beach & Pink Floyd in Wynwood
- Sunset Swim, Bacchanal at Bagatelle, see J Alvarez for free, beer & clay at the Wolfsonian & free Wapo Tacos!
- Freedom's just another word for an excuse to booze, plus a dinner and drag show!
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches
- National Martini Day, Nag Champayons at Bardot, Sappho does SoBe plus Sugar Factory & Libertine open
- Jazid celebrates 19 years, get literary with Judy Blume, Hyde Beach blacks out, PARK at LILT
- Bodega, Brandt's Break, Baboons and Audrina Patridge bring on the scene
- An art heist, karaoke night, night swimming, Space Jamming & World Red Eye's big 05
- Summer in the city: DBGB, boozy fundraisers and bikini contests