Midtown's Acme Bakery closing April 28
Acme cites 'high overhead' as possible reason
3452 NE 1st St.
Following rumors of its early demise, Midtown's Acme Bakery confirms that it is closing on April 28 after revealing it can't afford its exorbitant, allegedly $10,000 a month lease. For a brief time, the team behind The Federal Food, Drinks & Provisions was involved as partners, but that partnership was dissolved last November and has since been entangled in legalese.
The restaurant posted this on their social media networks:
We thank all the Acme fans and supporters as well as those frustrated by the slow service and other inescapable minutia. Perhaps we were a few years early for great bread; maybe we were in the wrong place; possibly our overhead was too high and ambitious; and then again maybe it's just this business. My most heartfelt thanks goes to our suppliers and partners (Panther, Cheney, Jojo Tea, American Food Equipment, Chef's Warehouse, to name a few...) and especially to our staff who have stuck with Acme, all the while knowing its fate, like the gilded professionals they are (regardless if they may forget your cream time to time... but proof, to restaurateurs everywhere, that if you treat your employees right you don't have to close your doors unexpectedly on them without warning for fear they'll jump ship prematurely).
Not letting go without a proper send off, Acme is having a "Going Away Brunch Bash" from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday during which time all breads are 50% off.
- The Bridge Cocktail Bar's December takeover of The Local Craft Food & Drink
- Kevin Cory transforms NAOE sibling into N Shabu Shabu
- Alinea in Residence comes to Miami: Chef Grant Achatz to pop up at Faena Miami Beach
- Former Miami restaurant owner Joshua Woodward pleaded no contest Friday to attempted murder for trying to induce a miscarriage
- Jose Garces planning Miami restaurant
- Update: CANCELED Brooklyn's Pies 'n' Thighs pops up at the Mondrian
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz is out at the Raleigh Hotel on South Beach
- Raleigh on the sale rack and Restaurant Michael Schwartz out?
- Luther Campbell hosts dinner party at Mignonette on November 11
- Chef Jeremiah & Roel Alcudia team up on gastroDobo, a 1-night Filipino pop-up in Wynwood