Midtown's Acme Bakery closing April 28
Acme cites 'high overhead' as possible reason
3452 NE 1st St.
Following rumors of its early demise, Midtown's Acme Bakery confirms that it is closing on April 28 after revealing it can't afford its exorbitant, allegedly $10,000 a month lease. For a brief time, the team behind The Federal Food, Drinks & Provisions was involved as partners, but that partnership was dissolved last November and has since been entangled in legalese.
The restaurant posted this on their social media networks:
We thank all the Acme fans and supporters as well as those frustrated by the slow service and other inescapable minutia. Perhaps we were a few years early for great bread; maybe we were in the wrong place; possibly our overhead was too high and ambitious; and then again maybe it's just this business. My most heartfelt thanks goes to our suppliers and partners (Panther, Cheney, Jojo Tea, American Food Equipment, Chef's Warehouse, to name a few...) and especially to our staff who have stuck with Acme, all the while knowing its fate, like the gilded professionals they are (regardless if they may forget your cream time to time... but proof, to restaurateurs everywhere, that if you treat your employees right you don't have to close your doors unexpectedly on them without warning for fear they'll jump ship prematurely).
Not letting go without a proper send off, Acme is having a "Going Away Brunch Bash" from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday during which time all breads are 50% off.
- R House restaurant, lounge, art space opening January in Wynwood
- Canadian chain Earls Kitchen + Bar opening Spring 2014 in Dadeland Mall
- Buns & Buns bringing the bread--meat, vegetables & seafood--to South Miami in 2014
- Say ciao to Serafina at Dream South Beach, closing at the end of December
- Former Miami chef Kerry Simon batting aggressive form of Parkinson's
- Eating House's spicy holiday greeting card goes viral
- Copperbox restaurant space in Wynwood for sale
- Chef Timon Balloo's Bocce Bar rustic Italian now open in Midtown
- The Rumor Mill: Eataly coming to Miami?
- Shake Shack Coral Gables hosts The Brooklyn Brewery Mash: Miami Edition December 9