Midtown's Acme Bakery closing April 28
Acme cites 'high overhead' as possible reason
3452 NE 1st St.
Following rumors of its early demise, Midtown's Acme Bakery confirms that it is closing on April 28 after revealing it can't afford its exorbitant, allegedly $10,000 a month lease. For a brief time, the team behind The Federal Food, Drinks & Provisions was involved as partners, but that partnership was dissolved last November and has since been entangled in legalese.
The restaurant posted this on their social media networks:
We thank all the Acme fans and supporters as well as those frustrated by the slow service and other inescapable minutia. Perhaps we were a few years early for great bread; maybe we were in the wrong place; possibly our overhead was too high and ambitious; and then again maybe it's just this business. My most heartfelt thanks goes to our suppliers and partners (Panther, Cheney, Jojo Tea, American Food Equipment, Chef's Warehouse, to name a few...) and especially to our staff who have stuck with Acme, all the while knowing its fate, like the gilded professionals they are (regardless if they may forget your cream time to time... but proof, to restaurateurs everywhere, that if you treat your employees right you don't have to close your doors unexpectedly on them without warning for fear they'll jump ship prematurely).
Not letting go without a proper send off, Acme is having a "Going Away Brunch Bash" from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday during which time all breads are 50% off.
- Tommy Hilfiger is buying, redoing The Raleigh; no comment from Michael Schwartz on restaurant's fate
- Carla Pellegrino's Touché Rooftop Lounge & Restaurant opening April 3
- The Villa by Barton G relaunches restaurant as Il Sole
- Java junkies! Tell us about your incurable coffee addiction & win a Keurig Special Edition Brewing System
- Bâoli does Omakase
- Hot sauce, happy hour & pinatas with free stuff at Huahua's Taqueria
- Locals, legends in the galley at SOBEWFF's Ocean Liner Dinner at The Wolfsonian
- Matt Ratcliffe, ex BLT Steak chef de cuisine, heads to Palm Beach as Buccan & Imoto execu chef
- Newly crowned Prince of Porc, Pubbelly's Jose Mendin, giving away free food Feb 20
- When one restaurant closes in Miami . . . another allegedly opens