Michelin-starred chef Danny Grant helms 1826, South Beach’s latest slick eatery
A swanky spot from a Michelin-starred chef debuts on Collins
1826 Collins Ave, Miami Beach
The who: Chef Danny Grant, named one of Food & Wine's best new chefs in 2012, helms 1826, South Beach’s latest slick eatery.
The space: A glass-sheathed, four-story tower on Collins Avenue blending a restaurant, lounge and private club. The second-floor dining room features floor-to-ceiling windows, an open kitchen, pod chairs and silver gun lamps.
The dishes: Contemporary American. The menu is divided into "Harvest," "Catch" and "Hunt" sections. Prices can be seductive: Starters range from $8-$18 and mains $18-$65, but each diner should be prepared to order three to four dishes.
Bread service is baked to order and includes a choice of bacon or olive and caramelized onion rolls with lime butter. Starters include Florida avocado salad with grapefruit and hearts of palm; yellowfin tuna tartar with heirloom tomato, black olive and basil; cucumber gazpacho with almonds and gin “snow” and foie gras with St. Germain liquer gelee. Larger plates include black truffle risotto with robiola emulsion, grilled short rib with Jerusalem artichoke and cod with vegetable casserole.
Desserts include deconstructed carrot cake with brown butter ice cream and dark chocolate crémeux with banana, sea salt and caramel ice cream.
The bottom line: A swanky spot from a Michelin-starred chef debuts on Collins.
- Spanish team goes for high-end Mediterranean food at Klima in Miami Beach
- Quality Meats gets things sizzling in South Beach
- Toronto import Cibo goes for Italian gold in South Beach
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach
- La Terrasse restaurant serves high-end French-Med in South Beach
- Campania plants Southern Italian flag in Miami's Design District
- La Savina in the Mondrian puts a little Ibiza in South Beach
- Tacos and more at Miami Beach's bodacious Bodega