Michael Mina opening second Miami restaurant in the Fontainebleau
Michael Mina 74 opening in the space formerly known as Arkadia
Update - 10/3/13: Told ya, except the restaurant's name is Michael Mina 74. It is expected to open mid-November. Cut and pasted from a press release are some of the menu items:
"A customized shellfish cart featuring local shellfish and ceviches, Kobe Beef Shabu Shabu, Alderwood Smoked Salmon, Crispy Fish Tacos and a Kale & Artichoke Caesar Salad. Chef Mina will showcase his taste extremes through globally inspired dishes like a selection of Gulf favorites including Potato-Crusted Pompano, Grilled Red Snapper, Spiny Lobster Spaghetti, ’Jerk’ Quail with foie gras rice and sugar pumpkin, Roasted Sucking Pig Cubano style, Miso-Glazed Black Cod with ramen noodles, karashi and shitake consommé. Classics with a twist from his repertoire will include a Moroccan short rib with roasted pepper couscous and coriander jus, Amish Chicken Tagine with saffron rice, tomato relish and jalapeño aioli, Black Truffle Omelet, Lobster Pot Pie, and Tomato Tarte Tatin with warm burratta, caper berries and watercress.”
Back in July 2012, we wrote, "Word is that Bourbon Steak star chef Michael Mina is branching out in the 305, opening a second spot at the Fontainebleau in the coming months. The location makes complete sense, considering that Bourbon Steak is housed in the Soffer-owned Turnberry Isle Resort, the Fbleau's sister property. But not so fast. Although "conversations" have been had, nothing is set in stone yet. The Fbleau has also been in talks with "other" chefs, but none who already operate restaurants in the parent company's other property. Odds on this one being true are high."
Nine months later, just like a baby, Mina is about to debut his second Miami restaurant in the space currently known as Arkadia. According to our source, the restaurant will be called RN74 by Michael Mina. Source says to expect a "high end, small plate" kind of place. Apparently, the Bleau Bar in the Fontainebleau's lobby had become the sprawling resort's version of a Star Wars bar, stealing the spill over from LIV and leaving Arkadia wide open enough for a restaurant of Mina's magnitude to occupy the space. We contacted the authorities for more information and will be back as soon as we get that.
- Morimoto South Beach launches $65 'Greatest Hits' menu
- Vikram Katoch appointed new executive chef at Bianca
- Restaurant-season slowdown hits Miami
- Caviar launches Miami delivery service from Blue Collar, Miami Smokers and more
- BBQ night at Harry's Pizzeria
- Munch, munch, pass: 4/20 dinner sparks up at Eating House in Coral Gables
- Lindsay Autry, Xavier Torres, Todd Erickson, Jason Pringle, & Richard Hales to compete in Cochon 555
- Phuc-in Yay! Phuc Yea! Vietnamese pop-up to go permanent mid-May
- Coya Miami opening Thursday, February 19
- 3.5 star review can't keep 27 open; Broken Shaker, restaurant shut temporarily at Freehand