Miami Soul weekend guide: VH1's The Tanning of America, Que Boogaloo, Treats & Tresses, and more
This week's lineup includes a wide range of events to check out from a Hip-Hop film screening to Caribbean-American Heritage month kick-off event to a good ole Omega party.
Miami Soul - your ultimate source for places to go, people to see, and things to do in Black Miami. New name but same great content on the black social scene. Check out this week's Miami Soul weekend lineup.
VH1’s Rock Docs - The Tanning of America: One Nation Under Hip Hop
Thursday, June 5, 5:30PM - 8PM - Historic Lyric Theater, 819 NW 2nd Ave, Miami
The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau and The Black Archives kick off Miami Film Month with a special screening of VH1′s “The Tanning of America: One Nation Under Hip Hop” based on Steve Stoute’s best-selling book. The music documentary is a thorough examination of hip-hop as a cultural movement, whose profound influence in music, film, television, fashion, business, race relations and politics eventually paved the way for the election of Barack Obama. Reception at 5:30pm; film screening at 6:30pm followed by Q&A with the film director.
Caribbean-American Heritage Month Kick-off Celebration
Thursday, June 5, 6PM - 9PM - Perez Art Museum Miami, 1103 Biscayne Blvd, Miami
In honor of Caribbean-American Heritage Month and a season at Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) dedicated to Caribbean art, PAMM teams up with host Neki Mohan of Channel 10 News, Caribbean-American Heritage Florida, and The Rhythm Foundation with an eventing of Caribbean art and dancing under the stars to a live performance by Lauderhill Steel Ensemble. Free and open to the public.
QUE Boogaloo 2014
Friday, June 6, 8PM - 2AM - Sport of King Lounge at Gulfstream Park, 901 South Federal Hwy, 2nd Floor, Hallandale
The men of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity – Zeta Chi Chapter of Fort Lauderdale kicks off summer recess with a night of smooth R&B and hip hop flavors. Cover: $10 in advance online and 2-4-1 general admission party pass. Advance tickets: QueBoogaloo2014.eventbrite.com. Proceeds to benefit the Zeta Chi Chapter Scholarship Fund & America Cancer Society.
TreatsandTresses: A RoyalCoils Meetup
Sunday, June 8, 2PM - 6PM - Natural Trend Setters Salon, 7247 NW 88th Ave (Pine Island Rd), Tamarac
Presented by Natural Trend Setters & Ankara Miami, come out for an afternoon of treats, networking, and tips on maintaing natural and healthy hair. Features celebrity stylist Simone Hylton and other beauty experts, giveaways, refreshments, vendors, tutorials, and discounted services. Gift bags with advance purchase. Complimentary admission for the first 25 RSVPs. Tickets $15 early bird, $20 in advance, $25 at the door. Purchase at treatsandtresses.eventbrite.com. For info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Every Friday, 10PM - 4AM - The Stage Miami, 170 NE 38th St., Miami
Weekly Friday night staple with good music, drinks specials, a chill vibe, and a hot venue. Music by Selfborn and DJ Heron. $10 entry and $5 drinks before midnight.
FLOW FRIDAYS Live Music & Poetry Dinner Party
Every Friday, 8PM - 1AM - Piano Hollywood at Seminole Hard Rock, 5805 Seminole Way, Ft. Lauderdale
Presented by B Side Entertainment, enjoy live music and open mic. $10 cover with ladies $5 before 9PM
Every Sunday, 10PM until - Will Call Miami, 700 NE 2nd Ave, Miami
Sunday night lounge vibe with music by DJ Heron and DJ Self Born. Free admission.
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Colors of the Caribbean, Big Night in Little Haiti featuring Akoustik Band, and more
- Taste of the Caribbean 2015: A Showcase of Caribbean Cuisine
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Juneteenth Food & Music Festival, Greek Cookout, Deltas After Dark, and more
- Miami Soul: Caribbean-American Heritage Month Events Around South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: CAT's Corner: A Jazz Fusion Experience, Que Boogaloo, All White Yacht Party and more
- Miami Soul: Live Jazz Spots Around Miami
- Miami Soul Memorial Day weekend guide: PAMM Memorial Day BBQ, Palm Beach Jerk & Caribbean Culture Festival, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kinfolks SoulFood Music Festival and other events around South Florida
- Haitian Heritage Cultural Month Celebrations Around South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: RonDayVu Day Party, Taste the Islands, Wireless Headphone Party Experience, and more