Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Soca Reggae Unity party, Soul Centric Miami, and more
Here's a few events to check out around South Florida this weekend just before the back-to-school madness starts.
Ft. Lauderdale Under 40
Thursday, August 14, 6PM - 10PM - Himmarshee Public House, 201 SW 2nd St, Ft Lauderdale
The monthly networking event for young professionals returns for its new Ft. Lauderdale series for an evening of cocktails, networking, and music. Free admission. RSVP at eventbrite.com/e/fort-lauderdale-under-40-public-house-tickets-12414517155
Caribbean Breeze Thursdays
Thursday, August 14 (every Thursday), 10PM - The Villa Bar & Lounge, 19501 NW 2nd Ave, Miami
Every Thursday, enjoy reggae, reggae ton, salsa, and merengue at this new neighborhood lounge.
Big Night in Little Haiti
Friday, August 15 (every 3rd Friday), 6pm - 10pm - Little Haiti Cultural Center, 212 NE 59th Terr, Miami
In the gallery: Haiti by Design presented with Haitian Cultural Arts Alliance. In the studio: art activities for kids hosted by Positive Impact Foundation and Bass Museum of Art. In the plaza enjoy delicious (and healthy) kreyol cuisine from Leela’s Restaurant, ice cold Prestige Beer, rhum auricle from Clairin, and more. After show party is across the street at 7th Circuit Studios with Moksha Roots Live and a special set by Jude Papaloko Thegenus.
Ky-Mani Marley Live
Friday, August 15, 9PM - 3AM - Moksha Roots Live, 228 NE 59th St, Miami
Enjoy live reggae music featuring Ky-mani Marley and other acts at this official Big Night in Little Haiti after party. $20 in advance, $30 at the door.
3rd Friday “Remix” Miami Inspiration Jazz Happy Hour
Friday, August 15, 6PM - 11PM - MOCA Cafe, 738 NE 125th St, North Miami
Monthly gospel/inspirational jazz happy hour featuring house band, Kingdom G, live music performances, soft R&B, and comedy by comedian Larry Dogg. Comedy begins at 8:30pm. Cover $10 before 8pm, $15 after 8pm.
Soca Regga Unity Independence Party
Friday, August 15, 7PM - South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center, 10950 SW 211th St, Cutler Ridge
In honor of the 52nd Independence celebrations of Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago, Diaspora Vibe Cultural Arts Incubator, Inc., in collaboration with the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center, will present a Dance Party on the Plaza. Featuring two of Miami’s renowned local Caribbean DJs, DJ Pablo of Hardcore Movements of Jamaica and DJ Dorenzo from Trinidad & Tobago, the dance party will celebrate the popular musical genres of soca and reggae, along with culinary treats from both countries. For tickets ($15.00), call the SMDCAC box office at 786-573-5300 or visit www.smdcac.org. Food and drinks will be on sale.
Soul Centric Miami
Saturday, August 16, 9PM - 1AM - Studio 504, 504 NE 190th St, North Miami Beach
Make it a date night or come out with friends for an evening of live entertainment featuring the smooth sounds of local jazz bands and hosted by comedian Clyde Gordon. Food is available for purchase and $5 wines. Admission $10. For info: www.facebook.com/soulcentricmiami
Tamela Mann & Vashawn Mitchell
Saturday, August 16, 7PM - James L. Knight Center, 400 SE 2nd Ave, Miami
Two of gospel music’s biggest acts come together for an energetic concert that is sure to be a blessing. Tickets available at stubhub.com/tamela-mann-tickets/tamela-mann-miami-james-l--knight-center-8-16-2014-9073903/?GCID=C12289x842
Sunday, August 17 (every Sunday), 10PM - until - Will Call Miami, 700 NE 2nd Ave, Miami
Sunday night lounge vibe with music by DJ Heron and DJ Self Born. Free admission.
- Miami Soul 2016 Black History Month events and celebrations around South Florida
- Miami Soul: Florida Memorial University's Homecoming lineup featuring T.I. in concert, tailgating, and more
- Miami International Boat Show celebrates 75th Anniversary bigger & better February 11-15
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Live jazz, beer tastings, and other things to do in South Florida Jan 28 - Jan 31
- GastroWars Knife-Fight Competition & Craft Beer Pairings
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day celebration events and Day of Service projects throughout South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Zo's Winter Groove, Big Night in Little Haiti, Wine & Reggae Festival and more
- Florida Grand Opera debuts rarely-performed opera, Bellini’s Norma
- iPic Theaters opens in North Miami Beach for luxury movie going experience
- Funk Fest kicks off the New Year with live performances by Fantasia, New Edition, Doug E. Fresh and more