Miami restaurateur charged with attempted fetus murder
Josh Woodward just married OD editor Suzy Buckley
The onetime owner of upscale restaurants in Los Angeles and Miami repeatedly attempted to force a drug-induced miscarriage on his then-girlfriend in 2009, prosecutors allege, and he has now been charged with four counts of attempted murder. The investigation's been ongoing for three years.
Joshua Woodward, 40, whose restaurant holdings included the now-closed Table 8 in Los Angeles and another outlet of the same restaurant in Miami Beach, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to the four counts in a Los Angeles courtroom. The Miami resident was being held on $4 million bail pending a Thursday hearing and could get life in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors allege Woodward tried to kill "Baby Doe" four times in September and October 2009 using misoprostol, a drug that can terminate early-stage pregnancies. The woman went on to miscarry at 13 weeks. It's not clear why the charges were only attempted murder or whether investigators think the drug led to the miscarriage, and messages left with prosecutors were not immediately returned.
Officials said the charges come after new evidence emerged, which they would not disclose, the Los Angeles Times reports.
A few weeks ago, Woodward married Ocean Drive editor Suzy Buckley, who recently started hyphenating her name.
On Our Radar
- Justin Bieber settles paparazzo lawsuit
- Sara Bareilles to headline gala
- Boca Raton's Ariana Grande splits from rapper
- Bryan "Birdman" Williams pays up
- Luis Miguel takes a bath in real estate deal
- Michael Buble's Instagram post criticized
- Estefans’ star search is over for ‘On Your Feet’
- Artist Romero Britto sues Apple
- Dave Chappelle parties, Bow Wow holds court
- Mario Lopez serves as grand marshal at Miami Beach Gay Pride parade