Miami restaurateur charged with attempted fetus murder
Josh Woodward just married OD editor Suzy Buckley
The onetime owner of upscale restaurants in Los Angeles and Miami repeatedly attempted to force a drug-induced miscarriage on his then-girlfriend in 2009, prosecutors allege, and he has now been charged with four counts of attempted murder. The investigation's been ongoing for three years.
Joshua Woodward, 40, whose restaurant holdings included the now-closed Table 8 in Los Angeles and another outlet of the same restaurant in Miami Beach, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to the four counts in a Los Angeles courtroom. The Miami resident was being held on $4 million bail pending a Thursday hearing and could get life in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors allege Woodward tried to kill "Baby Doe" four times in September and October 2009 using misoprostol, a drug that can terminate early-stage pregnancies. The woman went on to miscarry at 13 weeks. It's not clear why the charges were only attempted murder or whether investigators think the drug led to the miscarriage, and messages left with prosecutors were not immediately returned.
Officials said the charges come after new evidence emerged, which they would not disclose, the Los Angeles Times reports.
A few weeks ago, Woodward married Ocean Drive editor Suzy Buckley, who recently started hyphenating her name.
On Our Radar
- Chris Paciello buys home near country club in Miami Beach
- Locals turn out for Bill Clinton
- Ex Miami restaurateur Josh Woodward murder trial date set for February in Los Angeles
- Hip hop royalty in town
- Concerts from Usher and Adam Levine in South Florida
- Real Wolf of Wall Street coming to Miami
- Ultra Music Festival bans minors
- Enrique Iglesias & Anna Kournikova's romantic date
- Dwyane Wade & Gabrielle Union: man and wife
- HGTV’s David Bromstad whips up new Coffee-mate bottle designs