Miami restaurateur charged with attempted fetus murder
Josh Woodward just married OD editor Suzy Buckley
The onetime owner of upscale restaurants in Los Angeles and Miami repeatedly attempted to force a drug-induced miscarriage on his then-girlfriend in 2009, prosecutors allege, and he has now been charged with four counts of attempted murder. The investigation's been ongoing for three years.
Joshua Woodward, 40, whose restaurant holdings included the now-closed Table 8 in Los Angeles and another outlet of the same restaurant in Miami Beach, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to the four counts in a Los Angeles courtroom. The Miami resident was being held on $4 million bail pending a Thursday hearing and could get life in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors allege Woodward tried to kill "Baby Doe" four times in September and October 2009 using misoprostol, a drug that can terminate early-stage pregnancies. The woman went on to miscarry at 13 weeks. It's not clear why the charges were only attempted murder or whether investigators think the drug led to the miscarriage, and messages left with prosecutors were not immediately returned.
Officials said the charges come after new evidence emerged, which they would not disclose, the Los Angeles Times reports.
A few weeks ago, Woodward married Ocean Drive editor Suzy Buckley, who recently started hyphenating her name.
On Our Radar
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?
- Gwen Stefani's having trouble selling tickets for tour
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision
- 5 things to know about 2 Chainz