Miami restaurateur charged with attempted fetus murder
Josh Woodward just married OD editor Suzy Buckley
The onetime owner of upscale restaurants in Los Angeles and Miami repeatedly attempted to force a drug-induced miscarriage on his then-girlfriend in 2009, prosecutors allege, and he has now been charged with four counts of attempted murder. The investigation's been ongoing for three years.
Joshua Woodward, 40, whose restaurant holdings included the now-closed Table 8 in Los Angeles and another outlet of the same restaurant in Miami Beach, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to the four counts in a Los Angeles courtroom. The Miami resident was being held on $4 million bail pending a Thursday hearing and could get life in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors allege Woodward tried to kill "Baby Doe" four times in September and October 2009 using misoprostol, a drug that can terminate early-stage pregnancies. The woman went on to miscarry at 13 weeks. It's not clear why the charges were only attempted murder or whether investigators think the drug led to the miscarriage, and messages left with prosecutors were not immediately returned.
Officials said the charges come after new evidence emerged, which they would not disclose, the Los Angeles Times reports.
A few weeks ago, Woodward married Ocean Drive editor Suzy Buckley, who recently started hyphenating her name.
On Our Radar
- Miami Dolphins watch party at EPIC pool
- Former Gators quarterback: What I like about Miami
- Nicki Minaj called out by mental health group for Miami Beach incident
- Why Miami will be glad to see 2016 end, in gifs
- A Year in Pitbull
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner seen all over Miami for Art Basel
- Bon Jovi puts on private concert for SiriusXM in Miami Beach
- Sarah Jessica Parker gets her Basel on for the first time
- Cheech Marin is promoting a new ‘substance’ in Miami
- Heidi Klum: She’s an artist, too