From small-batch roasters to worldly bean selections, Miami’s coffee scene has made significant strides. Here are five of our favorite haunts for a cup o’ joe:
1. Eternity Coffee Roasters: Downtown roaster focuses on single-origin, Fair Trade beans and experiments with different brewing techniques to make exceptional coffee.
117 SE Second Ave., Miami.
2. Panther Coffee: Miami’s first micro-roaster operates two chill coffee shops and offers customers a choice of brewing methods. The cold brew will put hair on your chest.
2390 NW Second Ave., Wynwood, and 1875 Purdy Ave., Miami Beach.
3. Alaska Coffee Roasting Co.: The owner’s brother operates the shop’s other location, in Fairbanks, Alaska. This one’s more convenient for us. Housemade pastries and pizzas give another reason to linger.
13130 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami.
4. Juan Valdez Café: The Colombian bean behemoth just opened two downtown Miami cafés as part of a planned 60-store South Florida expansion (the brand already operates some 270 shops worldwide). It may not be the best coffee on this list, but it’ll be interesting to see how Valdez competes in our Starbucks-dominated java landscape.
101 NE Second St., Miami, and 364 NE First St., Miami.
5. Pasión del Cielo: Choose your own adventure here, where you have your pick of beans sourced from Jamaica, Costa Rica, Colombia and more. Each bean has its own grinder, to keep the flavors pure.
100 Giralda Ave., Coral Gables; 8915 SW 72nd Pl., Miami; and 3301 NE First Ave., Miami.