Aboud Kobaitri was born in Lebanon, apprenticed in a Paris restaurant, attended culinary school in Norway and now runs a little bistro in Cooper City. If his path to South Broward sounds curious, know that cooking isn’t the chef’s only love. In Oslo, Kobaitri met Lori, a backpacker visiting from Davie, and the rest, as they say, “is history.” Married 27 years, the two have been side-by-side at their 84-seat gem, La Brochette Bistro, for nearly 17 years. She works the front, he’s in the kitchen cooking delightful dishes that reflect influences of the Middle East, Europe, Scandinavia and South Florida.
Don’t bother looking at the menu until you hear the specials. There are no fish listed, for example, because Kobaitri waits till he sees what’s fresh that day, locally or air-shipped from Hawaii, like succulent barramundi and prized moi, “the fish of kings.”
Ambiance: The storefront is a quirky little oasis of fine dining in a typical suburban shopping center. The interior is like a favorite auntie’s Old World parlor, with lots of knickknacks, framed posters and pictures, sconces and lamps. But white tablecloths, candlelight and pampering service let you know they’re serious about fine dining.
- Skate in a brown butter sauce with pomegranate seeds
- Smoked almond-crusted yellowtail snapper in a Key lime buerre blanc
- Kurobuta pork in a raspberry chipotle sauce
- A starter of more than two dozen Prince Edward Island mussels in a garlicky broth with brussels sprout leaves, chopped tomatoes and herbs from Kobaitri’s gardens
- Sublime lobster schnitzel pounded into a thin slab, coated with Japanese bread crumbs and sautéed to a golden brown
- Tender escargot in garlic butter served alongside shiitake mushrooms and pine nuts
- Buttery tender Hawaiian Tasmanian salmon with a hint of cinnamon
- Divine grilled, ultra-tender steak
- Scrumptious bread pudding made with croissants
- Wine ice cream – six shot glasses filled with chocolate cabernet, peach white zinfandel, vanilla Riesling, raspberry chardonnay, cherry merlot and port plus fresh berries