Thanks to Broward’s burgeoning Indian community — it quadrupled between 1990 and 2007, according to the U.S. Census, to nearly 22,000 — restaurants are moving beyond tandoori, kebabs and curries. At India Garden of Coral Springs, you’ll find crepe-like dosas, biriyanis and vadu doughnut puffs (made from ground lentils). And many dishes, including crisp samosas (filled with potatoes and green peas), rasam (a peppery soup with tamarind) and channa masala (chickpeas in an onion-tomato sauce) are vegan. With so many vibrant dishes, Indio-philes will want to hang out in this Garden.
Ambience: There’s a large room for private parties and a small, arched dining room with an eclectic decor — lovely Indian tile art work along with individual tiles sporting quirky messages (‘‘To Marry Is To Halve Your Rights and Double Your Duties”) plus contemporary lamps in bright orange and lime green hues. It’s so calm and quiet that when the staff turned on soft Indian music, we were startled.
- Complimentary papadum crackers served with delicious onion and tamarind chutneys
- An appetizer sampler that includes tandoori chicken, chicken tikka, chicken wings, kebabs and a crisp vegetable samosa
- Sensational ragara – an exotically spiced medly of potato patties, chickpeas, onions and tomatoes in a minty sauce drizzled with tamarind chutney and creamy yogurt
- Light, crisp round dosas – masala dosa filled with a flavorful mix of mashed potatoes and onions
- Sambhar – a lentil soup with chunks of potatoes and onions
- Coconut chutney
- Standout paneer tikka masala
- Mild paneer (like cottage cheese but with more body) bathed in a creamy, mildly spicy tomato sauce seasoned with coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cardamom
- Palak paneer – a flavorful, dark, soupy, slow-simmered spinach dish
- Chewy, moist tandoori shrimp straight from the clay oven s
- Vegetarian and nonvegetarian thali dinners, fiery vindaloos and traditional kormas
- Creamy lassi
- Indian beer — the lager Taj Mahal or the lighter Kingfisher
- Sweet gulab jamun – small, deep-fried balls flavored with rosewater
- Mango kulfi, rich Indian ice cream that’s perfect for a summer night.