Sticking with the Saints
Cajun & Creole dining options are surprisingly abundant in South Florida. On the list..
- Conch comes fried, steamed and paired with lobster and chicken at Chef Creole. Other favorites include crab creole, stew chicken, lambi en sauce, ribs and poulet fri. 13105 W Dixie Hwy, Miami; 305-893-4246
- Grab and go at Creolina’s Dixie Takeout, where the menu features the likes of crawfish-laced gumbo, firecracker shrimp, Cajun popcorn, fried gator tail and shrimp etouffee. 209 SW 2 St, Ft Lauderdale; 954-254-2003
- Cajun goes high end at Emeril’s with New Orleans BBQ shrimp, rock shrimp po’ boy and andouille crusted redfish. 1601 Collins Ave, Miami Beach; 305-695-4550
- Crab stuffed mushrooms, fried clams, shrimp gumbo, alligator bites and jambalaya are all on the menu at Lu Lu’s Bait Shack. Also on tap – crawfish etoufee, red beans and rice with andouille and a “Cajun tour” sampling the restaurant’s classics. 17 S Ft Lauderdale Beach Blvd, Ft Lauderdale; 954-463-7425
- Head south to Maia’s Cajun Shack for gumbo ya ya, New Orleans must go salad (everything must go), red beans and rice, po boys and more. 28 S Krome Ave, Homestead; 786-243-2463
- Fort Lauderdale’s Shuck N Dive Cajun Café dishes out oysters Bienville (invented at Antoin’s in New Orleans), collard greens, chopped Cajun cobb salad, fired okra, hush puppies and more. 650 N Federal Hwy, Ft Lauderdale; 954-390-0191
- The Spot brings fish, shrimp & chicken tender po’ boys to South Beach as well as collard greens, red beans and rice and black eyed peas. 1570 Alton Rd, Miami Beach; 305-532-9122
All Colts, All the Time
Indianapolis is pork chops, corn and steak country, none of which are in short supply in South Florida. That being said, here are a few of our favorites places to grab a good steak & potato dinner – Miami-style, of course…
Looking for a highbrow experience (and have a wallet you’re itching to empty)? Check out BLT Steak, Prime 112 or Italian, or Red, the Steakhouse. In search of a view? Venture to Smith & Wollensky (we suggest a cheeseburger & cold beer) or the Chart House. Dedicated to the football theme? Dan Marino’s and Shula’s (multiple locations) dish out NY Strips, skirt steaks and other choice cuts. Can’ go wrong with rib eye or ribs at Houston’s or churrasco at Los Ranchos.