Miami Recycle Bike Shop
Dust off your old Huffy because this bike shop in South Miami will make it brand new again.
Inside a small warehouse in South Miami’s industrial district, Andres Barreda lovingly tinkers away with castoff bicycles.
He plucks them from garages sales, discovers them at flea markets and saves them from dumpsters.
They look like twisted bits of metal and deflated rubber. But Barreda, who describes his passion for cycling as “crazy,” sees each as a restoration job waiting to happen.
“I want to make it where everyone can ride,” said Barreda, 47.
Barreda has ridden in Spain, Amsterdam and other places around the world. Recycled bike shops seem to be common everywhere else, but he couldn’t find anything similar in South Florida. So he opened the Miami Recycle Bike Shop opened earlier this month. Barreda’s wife, Cindy, said they chose South Miami because of its central location and “laid back” environment.
The shop is an open warehouse with rows of used, vintage and custom bikes. Random parts — chains, inner tubes and more — hang from the walls alongside tools.
Customers can choose their parts and create their own bike, right down to the paint color. The shop also offers repairs and loaners for those who can’t be without their bike while it gets fixed.
With prices from $25, Barreda said he hopes to create more cyclists by removing financial barriers. New bikes can run into the thousands of dollars. He also wants to cater commuters who use their bike everyday between home, work and the grocery store.
“By recycling things that have already been produced it helps bring the cost tremendously down, and I’m also helping the environment.”
Cindy Barreda said they hope the business will be more than a shop by also creating community bonds. The bay door is always open to people who need to borrow a tool or get tips on repairs.
“We want to build relationships,” she said. “We want kids to come and say, ‘This happened to my bike. Can you fix it?’ ”
Miami Recycle Bike Shop
5885 Commerce Lane, South Miami; 305-495-5232
Open by appointment Monday - Thursday; 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Sunday
See and Do
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami
- 10 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 22-24
- Things we discovered on a 74-mile car trip on the Tamiami Trail from Miami to Naples
- Finding craft beer at Miami sports venues
- 9 events you can't miss in Miami - August 2016
- 9 weird things you see in Miami
- Are these are the best places in Miami to propose to your loved one?