Miami Poker Society
This group offers players a chance at nightly prizes at its poker tournaments held at a variety of locations across Miami.
By Justin Azpiazu
In these tough economic times it’s getting tougher for poker players to spare a couple hundred bucks to jump into some poker action.
The Miami Poker Society, which celebrated its one-year anniversary recently, is offering players a chance at nightly prizes at its poker tournaments held at a variety of locations across Miami.
Players will test their poker wits trying to earn points to qualify for the grand prize, a
buy-in to a $1,500 World Series of Poker event.
Each MPS night is set in its own upbeat social ambiance that caters to both transient bar patrons interested in trying their luck, as well as devout poker players looking forward to their shot at Vegas.
The MPS poker week starts off at Corbett’s, 12721 S. Dixie Highway, in Pinecrest. Corbett’s hosts two no-limit Texas Hold’em tournaments every Monday starting at 8:30 p.m. Corbett's has plenty of parking, great bar food, dartboards, pool tables, shots of sake, and a large variety of beers.
Tuesdays the poker action heads to Miami Beach with games at Waxy O’Connor’s, 1248 Washington Ave. Waxy hosts three tournaments with the first one beginning at 8:30 p.m. Aside from winning a healthy bar tab, points are awarded toward the grand prize tournament. Waxy has five poker tables available and offers Mystery Box prizes and the infamous Bounty Rounds, where players are rewarded for knocking players out of the tournament.
Wednesdays the games stay on South Beach but move a couple of blocks to Lost Weekend, 218 Espanola Way. Wednesday is also ladies night at Lost Weekend with free drinks for female friends from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. For newcomers to poker, a tutorial will be given at 7:30 pm.
On Thursdays, the Miami Poker Society shifts to Ecco, in downtown Miami, where games start 8 p.m. The buy-in is $10, which gets you a drink and 50 chips. You can opt to play poker, where blinds stay at 1/2 all night, or play blackjack. You are allowed to re-buy as often as you would like.
Players can redeem their chips for points at any point throughout the night. Points will be accumulated in a league format in which case, once a player gets to a 1,000 points, the top 16 remaining players will play in the grand prize tournament. The winner will be flown out to Las Vegas, given a hotel stay, and will compete for a WSOP bracelet.
IF YOU GO
Where: Miami Poker Society free poker nights
When: Monday through Thursday
Where: Monday, Corbett’s 12721 S. Dixie Highway, Pinecrest;
Tuesday, Waxy O’Connor’s 1248 Washington Ave, Miami Beach;
Wednesday, Lost Weekend, 218 Espanola Way, Miami Beach;
Thursday, Ecco 168 S.E. 1st Street, Miami.
How much? Buy in varies by location.
See and Do
- Discover Miami's Little Haiti neighbhorhood
- He was told as a boy he'd have to go to a deaf school—but he grew up to help make the music to Hamilton
- Las Olas Art Fair takes over the streets of Fort Lauderdale this weekend
- Coral Gables Hispanic Cultural Festival takes over the streets of City Beautiful
- 5 reasons you should check out the Mammography Art Initiative in Wynwood this weekend
- 7 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Oct. 21-23
- Miami's cultural itinerary courtesy of Prism Creative Group - Oct. 16-31
- Find your happy place at the Modern Life Mindfulness Festival
- Grovetoberfest Celebrates Six Years of Craft Beer
- Can this Miami political roast Make America Laugh Again? Let's hope so