By Aurora Rodríguez
Miami feels like a tropical paradise, so it’s no surprise that a spirit created in a variety of spots where the weather gets hot and steamy will be celebrated in a big way at the Shore Club-hosted Rum Renaissance Miami Festival 2009 on May 16.
Sip and compare between some of the best-tasting rums – such as Zacapa, Bacardi, Clément and Don Q – at the event’s Saturday Grand Rum Tasting. Need a little mixing know-how? Sign up for seminars and workshops and stay for Sunday’s pool party event celebrating island cultures with live music, food and tropical treats.
Can’t wait to start your own island fiesta? Mix up these cocktails at home featuring some of the festival’s yummiest rums.
- Fill a boston shaker with ice
- Add 1 part Cazadores Añejo Tequila
- Add 1½ parts Bombay Sapphire Gin,
- Add ½ part Bacardi Coconut Rum,
- Add 1 2/3 parts pineapple juice
- Add 1/3 part of gomme syrup.
- Shake and pour into a glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple slice and a cherry.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice
- Add 2 ounces of Clément V.S.O.P. Rum
- Add 1 ½ ounce of Clément Créole Shrubb
- Add a dash of Noilly Pratt Sweet Vermouth
- Add fresh lemon juice and West Indian orange bitters
- Strain and serve into a chilled martini glass garnished with a sugared rim.
- Garnish with a lemon peel to finish.
Bacardi Dragon Berry & Sprite
- Measure1 part Bacardi Dragon Berry Rum and 3 parts Sprite.
- Pour over ice and garnish with a lime wedge.
Rum Renaissance Miami will be held at The Shore Club, 1901 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-695-3100.