Miami Light Project hosts Here & Now festival
Here & Now festival brings theatrical and dance pieces plus a multimedia exhibition.
Here & Now 2014
Thursday through May 17
Light Box at Goldman Warehouse, 404 NW 26th St., Miami.
Performances are at 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, and tickets are $10. Call 866-811-4111 or visit miamilightproject.com.
Miami Light Project is getting ready to kick off the 15th edition of its popular Here & Now festival, this year featuring new dance and theater pieces plus an interactive multimedia art installation.
Unnamable by Letty Bassart features the artist’s original writing colliding with the work she encounters in cyberspace. Daniel Bernard Roumain supplies an original score, dancer Shaneeka Harrell the movement and Gema Corredera live vocals. UTOPIA D2H by Abel Cornejo is inspired by earlier hijacking of planes to Cuba, and it explores the quest for happiness and the nature of utopias.
Dancer Ana Mendez contributes Portal, a ritual piece that follows three characters into a void that melds past, present and future. It features a score performed by Sun Ra Arkestra musician Ed Wilcox and the notorious Blowfly. Sexual Offenders by David Rohn and Danilo de la Torre is a surrealistic theater piece exploring the experience of a husband-father and small-town official as he begins gender reassignment therapy.
Hesperus Is Phosphorus, the art installation by Juan Carlos Zaldivar, is a series of phosphorescent paintings on glass that re-contextualize classical and baroque figures in comparison to the eastern deity Shiva.
See and Do
- City Theatre and Island City Stage team up for Shorts Gone Wild
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun July 27 - Aug 2
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 24-26
- Overtown Music & Arts Festival is a soulful afternoon in historic Miami neighborhood
- International Salsa Festival takes over Tamiami Park for three days of salsa's finest performers
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun July20-26
- Free and Cheap things to do in Miami - July 17-19
- The Project [theatre] takes over Bardot with immersive hip hop theater
- 15 things to do with the kids in Miami July 13-19: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- ‘Operation Pedro Pan: The Cuban Children’s Exodus' at HistoryMiami commemorates a dramatic migration