Miami Light Project hosts Here & Now festival
Here & Now festival brings theatrical and dance pieces plus a multimedia exhibition.
Miami Light Project is getting ready to kick off the 15th edition of its popular Here & Now festival, this year featuring new dance and theater pieces plus an interactive multimedia art installation.
Unnamable by Letty Bassart features the artist’s original writing colliding with the work she encounters in cyberspace. Daniel Bernard Roumain supplies an original score, dancer Shaneeka Harrell the movement and Gema Corredera live vocals. UTOPIA D2H by Abel Cornejo is inspired by earlier hijacking of planes to Cuba, and it explores the quest for happiness and the nature of utopias.
Dancer Ana Mendez contributes Portal, a ritual piece that follows three characters into a void that melds past, present and future. It features a score performed by Sun Ra Arkestra musician Ed Wilcox and the notorious Blowfly. Sexual Offenders by David Rohn and Danilo de la Torre is a surrealistic theater piece exploring the experience of a husband-father and small-town official as he begins gender reassignment therapy.
Hesperus Is Phosphorus, the art installation by Juan Carlos Zaldivar, is a series of phosphorescent paintings on glass that re-contextualize classical and baroque figures in comparison to the eastern deity Shiva.
Here & Now 2014
Thursday through May 17
Light Box at Goldman Warehouse, 404 NW 26th St., Miami.
Performances are at 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, and tickets are $10. Call 866-811-4111 or visit miamilightproject.com.
See and Do
- Our favorite Miami stories this week
- 6 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 29-31
- 6 Best Places to Take Miami Newbies
- 5 things that will always remind you you're in Miami
- 5 reasons why mango season is the best time to be in Miami
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- Friends of The Underline hosts #PokemonGoUnderline social media contest
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami